The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an adjustment to add more assist from the hydro boost system?

My 2004 has a good size lift and wheels. I understand the inherent problems with steering and stopping, I'm just wondering if I am able to increase the amount of assist slightly for both.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I doubt there is any adjustments for the hyrdroboost. As far as better stopping power, Bigger calipers and rotors would be the solution there. I want to say there is an better steering box but I am not sure on that one either.
Keeping clean new fluid is a big help. The fluid you need to use is mobil 1 ATF. Regular power steering fluid WILL cause it to moan and most atf will cause moaning as well.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
The redhead steering box is good upgrade (so I heard) and if you upgrade your front brake to powerslots you should see a good improvement

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
HydroBoosts are not designed to be adjusted, or to be affected by slight changes in fluid flow or pressure. This & the NEXT several show how it works:

Read the captions.

Brake rotors with LESS surface area (due to diameter, holes, slots, or any OTHER reason) produce LESS braking force & MORE pad wear for a given pedal effort; or higher temperature (and thus faster fluid degradation, rotor wear, & pad wear) for the same braking force. Large flat-surface rotors give the best performance under all conditions.

RedHead warrants its boxes for less time than most parts store rebuilds.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I do not disagree with steve. But I have experienced that slotted rotors do provide more even pad wear. Not necessarily faster but more even. As far as the slotted vs smooth debate. Braking creates gasses/dust that the slots/holes allow those gasses to dissipate instead of trying to push the pad away from the rotor. On the 99-04 jeep Grand Cherokee this was the fix to stop the front rotors from warping constantly from overheating(this is a known issue).
Look at Mercedes and the new Challengers. They have slotted and drilled rotors from the factory.
This is my experience with slotted rotors. YMMV.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate the good advice.

My truck is on 40's. It does feel not terrible or unsafe, I just though if there was a quick easy way to improve the assistance of the system a little I would take advantage of it.

The negative impact of the big lift and tires didn't bother me enough to spend the $$ for the better steering or brakes. Especially since it is not a daily driver. I am careful with it and the way I drive.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Braking creates gasses...
That's only true for antique or cheaply-made linings. Modern brakes do not outgas. Follow the link in this caption:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts