The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed hydroboost on my 1996 F250 Powerstroke. Upon firing it up, the power steering pump whines now. It gets slightly louder if I step on the brake or turn the steering wheel. It never made a peep before the install.
Has anyone experienced this before?

Also, I noticed that the orifice on the new hose going from the hydroboost to the PS pump is slightly smaller than the original hose. I'm wondering if there is less fluid flow now, causing the whining?

I changed the fluid (ATF type F) and didn't really help.
Brakes work well. I didn't connect the pressure sensor yet. Need a "T" as there was not port for the sensor on the new master cylinder.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Totally normal unless this is going on for days. It takes time to completely remove the air from the system. There is a vacuum adapter that can be put on the fluid reservoir that when vacuum is applied is supposed to hasten this process. My experience is that pressing the brake a couple of times and turning the steering wheel lock to lock once then shutting the engine off 10 minutes and repeating several times is a good start. Also you can step up the fluid to synthetic ATF like Mercon LV.

Nice truck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, It's been whining for about 6 days now. Maybe I'll try the synthetic ATF. I did all of the air bleeding steps, but no luck yet. It's just annoying. I'd like to understand exactly what is causing it, as there wasn't a whine until I added the hydroboost. I understand a pump will whine when low on fluid, so I thought maybe the hydroboost or the new lines might be restricting the flow, and acting like a low fluid situation.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Wait... this was not a repair/replacement of the hydroboost but an upgrade install?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Please give us a little more detail of what you did. Did you replace the hydroboost, or add a second hydroboost, or upgrade the hydroboost?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced/upgraded the standard vacuum assist to a new hydroboost and new master cylinder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct. Upgrade installation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts