The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long post. I have an 01 F350 with the 7.3. I'm approaching 570k miles. Runs great. I've maintained it well and I've never had to go into the engine. I've only replaced the water pump, alternator, oil cooler orings, and the occasional sensor. I noticed some water dripping out the drivers side exhaust manifold at the donut gasket lately. I didn't pay much attention just thought it to be some condensation. A couple times the last two weeks when starting the engine I would get a strong hesitation while cranking. But it would start and run fine. This morning I had the same cranking issues and quite a lot of water, maybe 1/4 cup came out the manifold gasket area after it started. The water was black from soot but it feels slick like antifreeze. It isn't fuel. Some white smoke out the exhaust until it warms up. No mixing of fluids. Changed oil last week. It has no signs of moisture. No oil or diesel in radiator. I'm guessing the cranking issue is hydrolocking. I see no bubbles in degas bottle while running. What do you all think I have here? Cavitation damage, injector cup, injector, head gasket?? I'm not sure where to start.

·
Premium Member
14,794 Posts
Are you losing coolant? A head gasket issue is rare. How has your antifreeze maintenance been? What variety do you run? I suspect you’ll need to pull the injectors on that side and pressurize the coolant. I suppose a cup cracked at the very base could seep coolant into the cylinder but cavitation seems more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Losing a small amount of antifreeze. I'm pretty sure that's where it's going. I've been pretty diligent about changing antifreeze and adding a couple couple bottles of VC8. Just the oreillys store brand of antifreeze. It puzzles me that I don't see bubbles in the radiator. I can drive 300 miles and not lose any coolant . Seems to lose it when it's cold. I really wasn't wanting to hear the cavitation word. Everything else is great.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Out of curiousity, which O’Reilly’s House Brand Coolant are you using?

I see three options on the website:
Yellow Coolant in Gold Jug.
Or:
Green Coolant in Black Jug.
Or:
Orange Coolant in Silver Jug.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you losing coolant? A head gasket issue is rare. How has your antifreeze maintenance been? What variety do you run? I suspect you’ll need to pull the injectors on that side and pressurize the coolant. I suppose a cup cracked at the very base could seep coolant into the cylinder but cavitation seems more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I took your advice and pulled injectors on left side and pressured the coolant to 16 psi. If my attachment came through it shows coolant seeping into the cup on injector 8. Do you think I might be lucky enough that's its just a cracked cup at the base?

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts