The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
They aren't real common or popular anymore.

They seem to be fine for a generic programmer.

I know someone who has run one on his 7.3 for 200k miles with no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
did you consider custom tune? this is the way to go whit this truck

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would only suggest a hypertech for a 6.0. For the 7.3 a custom tune is the only way to go (Tony Wildman, Swamps or Beans). Also with a six position chip you change it on the fly for what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I would only suggest a hypertech for a 6.0. For the 7.3 a custom tune is the only way to go (Tony Wildman, Swamps or Beans). Also with a six position chip you change it on the fly for what you are doing.
So why wouldn't custom tunes be good on a 6.0?

Thanks! I bought a Hypertech as they are local to me. Where do I get a Custom Tune?

Thanks again!
Terry
For the Hypertech? You can't. You need to buy a TS chip or a Hydra and order custom tunes for them. Or go through DP Tuner with one of their custom chips. I'm partial to gearhead tunes and a Hydra chip personally.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Get gauges and see how it runs.

My dad uses my old superchips 1705 and it works fine for him. He never sees egts over 1000 degrees on tow safe and it firms up shifts.

Not everybody needs custom tunes. But they are better

·
Registered
353 Posts
@Radioflyer I defiantly would recommend custom tunes for a 6.0, what i meant was the 6.0 is the only truck i could fathom using a generic tune for. All the other power strokes (7.3 with so many diff power adders and high miles, 6.4s as finicky as they are, and 6.7s with so many software updates) have so many X factors that custom tunes are worth the money. But by all means get custom tunes for your exact set-up if you have the $$$. AS for the 6.0 Tuning was in its hay day and companies spent a lot more time researching the vehicles and the 6.0 is a very well documented beast without a whole lot of changes thus the generic tunes are written better. when you get into the 6.4 & 6.7 with all their teething problems, hardware and software updates you have to be concerned about the generic tunes bc you cant be sure the company did their due diligence and updated their tuner to the configuration you are running. The problem with generic tunes in the 7.3 is the lack of feed back to the CPU from sensors, if you get a generic tuner but have something like stage two injectors its not going to run quite right because it doesn't have enough feed back from sensors to adjust for higher fuel volume. If your 7.3 is 100% stock then this is non-issue but if it is modified then pay for the custom tune. Those same issues do not impact the 6.0 nearly as much because the computer has enough feed back from all the extra sensors the newer trucks have to adjust for the change in parameters and help get the most out of the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys! I will look into your suggestions. My truck is pretty much stock 7.3. It does have 4" exhaust but that is about all I have done to it.

Thanks again!
Terry

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Gauges are a must when tuned

1 - 10 of 10 Posts