The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went through 3 months and $600 of VSM hell on the Excursion. Ask away, I know eveything about this hell. Here are a few tips.

1. The Ford tool refers to it as the CSM. (no where does it say VSM)
2. If Ford tool cannot communicate with your old VSM they must log into the Ford tech site and get your "as built" codes to enter.
3. To enter this info they call the Ford tech help line and get a code to enter that allows them to go into a manual entry mode where they then enter the "as built" info.

Ask more questions with specifics or PM me. I know 2002's are very prone to the VSM failing. Both of mine did.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
OKAY... MY 2002 KEY FOB UNLOCKS ONLY DRIVERS DOOR. IT LOCKS ALL DOORS. DOOR LOCK BUTTONS ON DOORS ALL WORK FINE, SO LOCK ACTUATORS WORK IN DOORS. ME THINKS THE VSM IS EITHER NOT COMMUNICATING WITH THE KEY FOB ON THE SECOND TAP, OR ITS NOT COMUNICATING WITH THE DOORS. DO I NEED A WHOLE NEW VSM, OR IS THERE A RELAY OR WIRE OR SOMETHING THAT CAN BE FIXED.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some additional symtoms of both trucks of mine that had VSM's out.

1. "Door ajar" light always on.
2. When you turn the key off and open door the radio stays on.
3. My electric locks would not work at all on either truck with manual button, remote, or keypad on Excursion.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WHOISBIGMAN1, do you have a door ajar lamp? Does your radio stay on with key off and door open?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
NOPE... EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS FINE. JUST CANT UNLOCK ALL 4 DOORS WITH KEY FOB, ONLY DRIVERS DOOR UNLOCKS. LIKE I SAID... LOCKS WORK WITH BUTTON INSIDE DOOR FINE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a second remote? If so how does it act? Also, I would maybe try a new remote battery. If you do not have a door ajar lamp on all the time or radio always on issue it is not the symptoms of the traditional VSM failure. I would lean toward a simple remote transmitter issue.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
ask around the ford shop I think I read somewhere about programing the VSM so only one door unlocks

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ask around the ford shop I think I read somewhere about programing the VSM so only one door unlocks

[/ QUOTE ] Or WHOisBIGman,, you could try to reprogram the FOB? Just for grins? Would only take a few minutes to do that...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or, check out ebay and get a second FOB and mate it to your VSM using the procedure in the owners manual. It is always good to eliminate complete items out of the picture in the logical progression of troubleshooting. Problem is it takes many years of making this mistake banging your hear on the cement to get to this point. I am what they call a seasoned pro at keeping or not eliminating the actual root cause item based on hunches and thoughts like "it can't be that"!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just went through 3 months and $600 of VSM hell on the Excursion. Ask away, I know eveything about this hell. Here are a few tips.

2. If Ford tool cannot communicate with your old VSM they must log into the Ford tech site and get your "as built" codes to enter.
3. To enter this info they call the Ford tech help line and get a code to enter that allows them to go into a manual entry mode where they then enter the "as built" info.

Ask more questions with specifics or PM me. I know 2002's are very prone to the VSM failing. Both of mine did.
i have a 2003 6.8L Im trying to find the part number for the most current VSM with no luck. the dealer says the part has been discontinued. The only thing not working is the door keypad. if you have a part number info on where to track one down or know if it could possibly be reflashed any help would be great!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'm fighting a parasitic current draw on my 2002 powerstroke. Isolated down to fuse #19. Manual shows this is the VSM. All my door locks work, alarm sets with key fob. Essentially everything is functioning normally. I can run the truck without the 10A fuse and the FOB will no longer lock/unlock the truck and set the alarm and the door ajar light is alluminated and shows all four doors are ajar. Since everything is working, I'm not sure how to locate where the draw is coming from. Any suggestions?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts