The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say, I have been a Ford man since 1974 when I began buying my own vehicles. But now more than ever do I want to support Ford. They have not taken any Obama money and have so far avoided being taken over by our Marxist Government. Kudos to Ford! :clap:

I have a few questions.

1. Is it too late to order a 2009 Ford F-350 truck equipped like I want? I can’t find one at a dealer that is close to what I want.

2. I would like to take advantage of the X-Plan opportunity. Is there anybody out there that has any X-Plan pins available? If so, PM me. Thanks

3. I have had a diesel motor in my Ford vehicles for the last 15 years because I towed a lot. But now I don’t tow so much (Maybe 5% to 10% of the time) and I am weighing the pros and cons of maybe switching to the Triton V10 for cost reasons. When I tow, it is a 34 ft toy hauler. Maybe 1500 miles of the 25,000 miles I drive per year. I have done a lot of reading about this still can’t decide. I have read a lot of good things about the Triton V10 but would like any opinions you may have, Pro or Con.

4. What are the current incentives and/or rebates when purchasing a Ford truck?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jim

·
Registered
780 Posts
1. Is it too late to order a 2009 Ford F-350 truck equipped like I want?
Yes, it is. If you want to place a custom order - most likely needed for a V10 - you need to go for a 2010. No real changes between 09 and 10 though. Prices have not yet been announced but I expect them going up 1-2k.

3. I have had a diesel motor in my Ford vehicles for the last 15 years because I towed a lot. But now I don’t tow so much (Maybe 5% to 10% of the time) and I am weighing the pros and cons of maybe switching to the Triton V10 for cost reasons. When I tow, it is a 34 ft toy hauler. Maybe 1500 miles of the 25,000 miles I drive per year. I have done a lot of reading about this still can’t decide. I have read a lot of good things about the Triton V10 but would like any opinions you may have, Pro or Con.
Have a search here; lots of discussions. From what you write it is absolutely clear: You don't need a PSD, a V10 is your choice (I am thinking if I made the right choice when I ordered my PSD a few weeks ago).

They just reduced the 09 cash-back from 3500 to 1500. :thdown:

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Is it too late to order a 2009 Ford F-350 truck equipped like I want?
Yes, it is. If you want to place a custom order - most likely needed for a V10 - you need to go for a 2010. No real changes between 09 and 10 though. Prices have not yet been announced but I expect them going up 1-2k.

Have a search here; lots of discussions. From what you write it is absolutely clear: You don't need a PSD, a V10 is your choice (I am thinking if I made the right choice when I ordered my PSD a few weeks ago).

They just reduced the 09 cash-back from 3500 to 1500. :thdown:

Jim
Thanks for the info.

Does anybody know when the 2010 trucks will be available and when I can order one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Does anybody know when the 2010 trucks will be available and when I can order one?

Thanks.
Hm, as the 09s are done - at least the fleet ones - I think you even might be able to order one now. 2010 Super Duty production is scheduled to begin 6/29/09 if they did not change in the meantime.

Jim

·
Premium Member
18,824 Posts
1. Is it too late to order a 2009 Ford F-350 truck equipped like I want? I can’t find one at a dealer that is close to what I want.
If you order one tomorrow, it will be a 2010 model.

Have you had an experienced Ford fleet manager do a "dealer search" to find exactly the truck you want? It's probably out there waiting for you if you really want a 2009, or if you don't want to wait two months or so while they schedule and build your new 2010.

If you don't know an experienced fleet manager, then I'd sugest you call Bobby Williams and turn him loose on your search. If he finds "your new truck" somewhere in capitivity, he can handle the sale, then make arrangements to either have the new vehicle delivered to your neck of the woods (may be expensive if he doesn't find it within a few hundred miles of where you want it delivered), or you can go to wherever the truck is now and pick it up with a "courtesy delivery" arrangement.

To contact Bobby, click on the following link:
Sunrise Ford Fleet
And you'll see Bobby's name on the home page.

Yeah, he's in LaLa land, but he can take care of you regardless of where you're located in the lower 48. :) Since you're in Vegas, you probably jump across to SoCal on a regular basis anyway.

Of course, if you have a trade in, that complicates the heck out of the transaction. Probably best if you plan on selling the trade-in yourself. Or drive it to Fontana and trade it in to Bobby.

And if you decide to order a new 2010, Bobby can handle that too, and arrange for a courtesy delivery by a dealer near you. Or you can plan to go to Fontana to pick up the new truck. He'll take much better care of you than anyone else (unless your baby brother is a Ford fleet manager). :wink2:

2. I would like to take advantage of the X-Plan opportunity. Is there anybody out there that has any X-Plan pins available? If so, PM me.
You can use an X-Plan pin for a new 2010. But if a dealer locates "your truck" 500 miles away so he will have added cost of delivering the truck to you, then he may not be willing to accept the X-Plan price for that truck.

I have had a diesel motor in my Ford vehicles for the last 15 years because I towed a lot. But now I don’t tow so much (Maybe 5% to 10% of the time) and I am weighing the pros and cons of maybe switching to the Triton V10 for cost reasons. When I tow, it is a 34 ft toy hauler. Maybe 1500 miles of the 25,000 miles I drive per year. I have done a lot of reading about this still can’t decide. I have read a lot of good things about the Triton V10 but would like any opinions you may have, Pro or Con.
I'm a firm believer in building the truck to handle the toughest job you plan for it to have to do, even if that job is only a small part of the total miles you will put on the truck. A 34-foot toy hauler is a heck of a load, and 1,500 miles a year of towing that rig requires a serious tow vehicle.

Any vehicle is a compromise. There is no such thing as a good tow vehicle that is also a good commuter car. And there is no such thing as a good commuter car that is also a good tow vehicle. So for the safety of you and yours and me and mine out there on the highways and byways, have the right vehicle for the towing job, then "make do" for the unloaded miles. The only acceptable compromise is to have two different vehicles for the two very different jobs.

So get the diesel. It will handle the toy hauler without compromise. If you settle for the gasser, you'll probably be kicking yourself in the fanny every time you haul that trailer over a mountain pass.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Here I disagree with Smokey. Yes it's right that every vehicle is a compromise but on the other hand if you - as Smokey suggests - buy a vehicle for the toughest job that would mean in my case buying a 800 hp bus or a real truck :)

Anyway it's your decision. If you chose a PSD it's more than likely that Bobby will find something close to your wish list. For the V10 probably not. On the other hand the incentives got worse so there is no real need to get a 09. So I would opt for a 2010 V10. If you tend towards a PSD let Bobby have a look for an 09.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the info.

I am leaning towards the Triton V10 more for cost reasons than anything else. Even though I may lose a little in the towing area, it seems to be a good compromise. In that case, I will probably wait for the 2010s and deal with Bobby Williams.

Since I live in Las Vegas, it would be easy for me to deal with Bobby Williams in Fontana as a local. I go to LA on a fairly regular basis for business anyway. However, I have not had anybody respond to my request for an X-Plan pin and if I deal with Bobby I will probably need one. Right? Are PINs usually hard to get?

After an order is placed, how long does it take to be delivered to the dealer? For example, if I ordered one as soon as they let me, say around the beginning of July, When would I be able to pick it up?

Should I be concerned about ordering a new year vehicle at the beginning of its rollout? I have heard that there are often some quality issues because all of the kinks in the process aren't ironed out yet. Any truth to that?

Thanks Again.

·
Premium Member
18,824 Posts
However, I have not had anybody respond to my request for an X-Plan pin and if I deal with Bobby I will probably need one. Right?
Last I heard, that PIN is worth about $500 to the dealer. So without an X-Plan PIN he'll have to charge you about $500 more than X-Plan price in order to make the same profit as he would on an X-Plan deal.

Are PINs usually hard to get?
No, but this forum is probably not the best place to ask for one. You need to be in a forum where Ford employees hang out. No, I don't know of any, but there are some around, so maybe someone else will give you a hint.

After an order is placed, how long does it take to be delivered to the dealer? For example, if I ordered one as soon as they let me, say around the beginning of July, When would I be able to pick it up?
I'll bet if you call Bobby bright and early tomorrow morning he'll accept your order for a 2010 and get it processed into the Ford system immediately.

If you place your order after the assembly line has already cranked up, then normal is about 6 to 7 weeks to have it show up in Las Vegas or Fontana. But Bobby is known for cutting some red tape and getting some of his orders delivered to him in 5 weeks or so. So confirm anything I say with Bobby.

Remember that Thursday is the big day in the car building business. Any order in before Thrusday will probably be picked up by the assembly plant on Thrusday, then delivered out west about 6 weeks later. So if you order on Friday, the order will sit in the hopper until the next Thursday. But if you order on Wednesday, the order could be picked up (scheduled to be built the next week) the next day.

One fly in the ointment is the 4th of July holiday week. I don't know the schedule this year for the Kentucky Truck Plant (KTP) where SuperDuties are assembled, but often the assembly plants close for two weeks vacation during the 4th of July "summer break". So that might slow down any orders placed before the summer break begins. But Bobby will know the schedule for this year, so pick his brain.

So my WAG is that if you order on Monday 18 June and Bobby gets it all entered by Wednesday, 20 June, that you could probably pick up your new Truck at Bobby's store about the first of August if there is no "summer break" at KTP. Or by the middle of August if there is a summer break this year.

Should I be concerned about ordering a new year vehicle at the beginning of its rollout? I have heard that there are often some quality issues because all of the kinks in the process aren't ironed out yet. Any truth to that?
There's definitely some truth to it if the vehicle is an all-new model or drastically changed from the pevious year. But there will be almost no difference in a 2010 and a 2009 SuperDuty, so I'd take the first 2010 to roll off the assembly line in late June or early July - and expect no problems. But not so for the 2011 model which will have a brand new engine and transmission. I wouldn't order one of those for at least several months after the assembly lined cranked up.

·
Registered
487 Posts
What other changes are there for the 2010 model? I have looked for the 2010MY changes summary, but can't find it...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree with Smokey. Get the PSD. Come trade in or re-sale time it will pay for itself.
After 15 years of diesels, the V10 will make you sad. That and the 5 mpg it will give you towing that big trailer. You might consider an F450 as well...it has better brakes I think...no small concern.

·
Premium Member
18,824 Posts
I have looked for the 2010MY changes summary, but can't find it...
Bobby is apparently working on updating his website as we speak. As of 9:20 CDST on Sunday night, the 2010 model year was still a blank screen, but I'll bet he has it updated by sometime tomorrow.
Sunrise 2010 Download

However, a 2010 bootleg Canadian Order Guide was available a coupla weeks ago. For the F-250 it said:

MODEL/SERIES/AVAILABILITY CHANGES
• Cabela's has been added as a series
• FX4 series has been deleted

PACKAGES/OPTIONS CHANGES
FUNCTIONAL/POWERTRAIN
• 5-Speed automatic transmission is now standard on:
— XL (F-350 DRW only)
— XLT (F-350 DRW only)
— Lariat
— Cabela's
INTERIOR
• 40/20/40 Leather seat now option on XLT (not including regular cab)
• Upgraded: SYNC® with Traffic, Directions and Information (V3)

EXTERIOR
• New Exterior Paint Colors:
— Steel Blue
— Ingot Silver
— White Platinum Tri-Coat
— Tuxedo Black (premium two-tone available on
Harley Davidson only)
• New 17" Aluminum Wheel (64W)
• 20" Wheels and Tires only available with diesel engine
PACKAGES
• Quad seats for both King Ranch and Harley have
been deleted
• Harley-Davidson package is now a diesel only
offering.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The only biggie there is those three folks that want a stick shift Dooley can no longer order one. :wink2:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have my eye on a 2009 Harley Davidson addition F350 4X4 loaded with the V10, that the dealer is asking $46,000. If the incentives were still $3500.00, that would make it $44,000.00.
Does anyone think that they will increase the incentives again?
What do you all think of the $46,000.00 price tag currently for that truck?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I tow quite well with my V-10 and a 4.10 rear. If I was towing a big 5er then I would surely get the V-10 with a 4.30 rear and you can tow a house. Just look at how many Class A giant motor homes are running around with the lowly V-10 and doing it without reliability issues. Also, there's no "re-gen" issues or the need to lift the cab if there ever is a problem. No thanks, I'll take my V-10 any day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bobby is apparently working on updating his website as we speak. As of 9:20 CDST on Sunday night, the 2010 model year was still a blank screen, but I'll bet he has it updated by sometime tomorrow.
Sunrise 2010 Download

However, a 2010 bootleg Canadian Order Guide was available a coupla weeks ago. For the F-250 it said:

MODEL/SERIES/AVAILABILITY CHANGES
• Cabela's has been added as a series
• FX4 series has been deleted

PACKAGES/OPTIONS CHANGES
FUNCTIONAL/POWERTRAIN
• 5-Speed automatic transmission is now standard on:
— XL (F-350 DRW only)
— XLT (F-350 DRW only)
— Lariat
— Cabela's
INTERIOR
• 40/20/40 Leather seat now option on XLT (not including regular cab)
• Upgraded: SYNC® with Traffic, Directions and Information (V3)

EXTERIOR
• New Exterior Paint Colors:
— Steel Blue
— Ingot Silver
— White Platinum Tri-Coat
— Tuxedo Black (premium two-tone available on
Harley Davidson only)
• New 17" Aluminum Wheel (64W)
• 20" Wheels and Tires only available with diesel engine
PACKAGES
• Quad seats for both King Ranch and Harley have
been deleted
• Harley-Davidson package is now a diesel only
offering.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The only biggie there is those three folks that want a stick shift Dooley can no longer order one. :wink2:

I really wanted an FX4 (hate chrome) and a manual...

Looks like am I stuck with an XLT. Hopefully they have a chrome delete, but does look like i can upgrade to a leather seat. (hopefully you can still get the manual).

Thank God I wasn't planning on a DRW.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts