The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All brake lights and reverse lights work.
Clutch switch works per multimeter on pin 4 and ground.
Steering wheel buttons work per scan tool other than that set and coast get mixed up. I've read others have this problem and I have always had it.
Brake switch works per scan tool.
I don't seem to have a second brake switch on my master cylinder.
Fuse 13 is good.

Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts
Have you tried setting it with the coast button if the PCM is confusing the two?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
That means the contacts of those switches have corrosion, creating resistance. Most Ford switches are self-cleaning, which means that the more you press them (whether they have any effect or not), the more the corrosion will wear off the contacts, and they'll probably begin to work better. But if they're really bad, you'll have to replace them eventually.

This diagram is for gassers, but the only real difference for these diesels is that the EEC/PCM contains all the functions of the cruise servo. The information & diagnostics in the caption & the NEXT few are generally applicable to most '93-04 F-series (& many other Ford/L/M vehicles).

(phone app link)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Are you certain the third brake light is working?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hey! TexasAggie I just had a problem with my cruise control not working also, in the past it had always been the normal causes brake lights etc. This go around it was the VSS in the rear diff but it was also, causing my speedometer to fluctuate. If you do decide to swap it out just make sure that you clean the mating surface and that it is fully seated also, take a flash light and as you tighten the bolt down watch the opposite side and make sure that it doesn't lift up not even a 64th of an inch. I bought one from the dealer cleaned the surface put it in and it was fully seated tightened it down and still had the problem pulled it out again cleaned the surface made sure it was fully seated this time I took a flash light and as I was tightening it down I saw the opposite side lift up about a 64th of an inch so, I went to napa bought another one put it in and watched it as I was tightening it down and it stayed fully seated had no problems since cruise works great speedo does not fluctuate.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turned out to be the clutch switch. A while back I installed one of those clutch bushing replacement kits with the rod end. I think I am mashing the crap out of the switch when I push the pedal all the way down. I only need to push the clutch in half way to get it to work. That's weird because a longer linkage will just engage sooner, and a shorter linkage will mash it worse.

So glad to have CC back though. Trying not to press clutch all the way in. Boss suggested making the stop fatter so I can't press it as far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts