The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lengthy but informative.

I'm very happy to report that I picked up my truck yesterday. I got it home lasst night late. There is a little bluetooth glitch between the BB and the Eclipse AV but tomorrow it gets worked out.

Here are some observations:

While working with the Nav at the dealership, it sat and idled for a pretty long time...like maybe a few hours maybe a bit longer. it was hot and the AC was on low. This was before a test drive. The truck had a whopping 137 miles on it. The minute we pulled it off the lot, bang.........re-gen! I was thinking.. man, idling is one of the things it says if you do , it will manually re-gen. Well it did, but it was a passive operation. I saw it on the dash. Here is the crazy thing. It lasted about 10 seconds! That was it! Dealer even said it not unheard of to be so fast, so efficient.

The tank was full, minus idle time. First thing I did was add my Diesel treat 2000 supplement. I drove home from Fontana, about 45 miles south of LA to Bako about 150 miles away. Drove between 65 and 70 up and down the hill all the way home.

Another observation :with the 4:30 gearing I noticed my RPMs where 2250 right at 70MPH. With the 3:73s it was 2000 rpms at 70 MPH. When I left the carlot according to my message board I was 15 miles off full. I got home with a little over 1/4 of a tank used. The starting number I saw was 469 miles till empty. Pulling in the yard was right at 320 until empty. Topped off, it is going to be real close to 500 per tank.

These trucks will hold an extra gallon plus in the throat comfortably. My 2002 would hold 40 topped off. On that note, I added the 65 gallon Aerotank/tool box combo. One nice feature is that the tank fill is under the toolbox lid right in the corner. Very accessable. It cannot be seen when closed nor can it be vandalized unless you lift the lid, which I will keep locked. On the interior right down off the floor, away from whewre your feet could hit it, I have a fuel gauge for that tank. It lights up nicely at night...not too bright. Straight down from the steering column and directly under the bottom of the dash there is a 15 minute timer, a wind up type, outta sight outta mind but totally accessable.

My truck was so comfortable to drive. Those Captain's chairs are just sweet! Lighting at night was awesome. Mirrors give you such a good view.. I did not notice the blind spot. I'm talking quiet.. my God, it is awesome! I didn't have to crank up the stereo which is the premium sound and a killer itself.

This morning I went out and for whatever reason I looked down at the chromed tailpipe. It looked like it just came off the rail car. Not one spot of soot..anywhere!! Does this thing really burn that clean? Is that true? I need help with that one. anybody?

The Eclipse Nav functioned beautifully. That 3D imaging and huge exact color screen replica of the state routes, (ex: 215 east, I-5 North) which by the way was so spot on with audible direction was just too cool:thumbsup: The GPS is totally dead on balls accurate and the information you receive comes up before you get to that location as far out as a few miles hen starts narrowing the distance down to 1/2 mile then farther. It then counts down in 400 yard 1/4 mile encrements on the freeway. City street driving is as close as 100 ft! On streets you also get address, a speed and your direction.

Maybe , by my type you can see that I am extremely happy. If not let me tell you just one time. I am so very happy with the way that everything turned out. Thursday morning window tinting to protect that leather up here in Bako and a Noah 4 car cover on its way.

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is 'Bako' short for Bakersfield?
Yes Sir it is..it bakes here, as you may already know. This last summer we only had 33 days over triple digits. My best remembrance was 49 days over 100..I think, so this wasn't too bad. In my line of work..Firefighter... it made it a bit tougher, so I remembered how things were. Back on point, the sun will bake the leather and fade it quicker than not. I have made it a habit to tint generously to save.. use a window shade and if leaving the truck out for over a day, use the Noah.

this thing is way to beautiful to leave in the baking sun.

· Registered
143 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
PIcs of new truck

Here are some pics with a brief explanation.
There are Husky liners that fit like a glove. That tan carpet would play hell staying clean so it is now covered. Color matches perfectly for me.

You can see the auxillairy tank gauge which is very nicely placed, out of my foots way, and the way cool timer (which I just saw for the first time when I took the picture) sits under the dash.

Windows are tinted to keep the UV rays off the KR leather. The Signature Series 30K gooseneck is a minute uninstall to the minute install of the Sig Series 24K Fifthwheel.

The Eclipse Nav/SAT/Bluetooth ...and much more.... AV system is a real nice unit.

Attachments

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Last pic of the truck with tint
hope you all enjoy these. I have always been happy when somebody posted up being patient until mine arrived. it is here now.. I will answer questions when I can help as I am getting a feeling for this 2010 F-450

You gotta ask yourself. Have you noticed how the front windshield is so laid back? You would think with that aerodynamics mileage would be better.

thanks to all who shared in my jubilant enthusiam:thumbsup:

Attachments

· Registered
652 Posts
Great looking RIG :thumbsup:

· Registered
4,742 Posts
great looking truck.

Just a couple of things for you to be aware of, first the miles to empty will adjust as it learns your driving style so don't be surpised about that.

Secondly, yes the tailpipes should be that clean, or maybe a slight haze at most. If your DPF and all is working correctly. I have 26K on mine and they look new.

Also Idleing is not something to do in these trucks unless you do a high idle mod to it. You don't want to wash the cylinders and clogg it up with soot.

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
great looking truck.

Just a couple of things for you to be aware of, first the miles to empty will adjust as it learns your driving style so don't be surpised about that.

Secondly, yes the tailpipes should be that clean, or maybe a slight haze at most. If your DPF and all is working correctly. I have 26K on mine and they look new.

Also Idleing is not something to do in these trucks unless you do a high idle mod to it. You don't want to wash the cylinders and clogg it up with soot.
Thank you for the complement. It is the nicest thing I have ever owned. Thanks for that info. I appreciate every little thing I can learn along the way. I like the fact that it will adjust to my driving style. I don't hot foot this rig I just cruise it, unlike that 02 I had with full on Banks mods. My driving habits are that of an older gentleman ..I am fairly young... as I realize this vehicle was designed and its intended purpose is to haul my fiver. I try not to idle it at all unless I come in hot and do a minute or two cool down.

I had one re-gen at dealership idling it while working on AV system. The re-gen actually took place the minute we took it out for a test drive. It last about 8 seconds? Bobby said that was about it. I am happy! The truck had 137 miles on it then. I have about 390 now and no new re-gen.

I knew about wet-stacking issues (glogging cylinders, plugged injectors, carbon deposits, now sooting up the DPF) about 5 years back and with the addition of the Diesel Treat supplement over that many years it helps tremendously. I got it to counter the ULSD but it has helped with other concerns too. Can't say if it will stop re-gens but it should slow down that process. With my aux. tank, I see no reason to fill it yet. I have no immediated plans to travel.

I know the supplement is designed to keep fuel fresh for a longer period of time but anywhere I go from here diesel will be cheaper. That is when I will top it off.

To be honest, I have yet to fill up the main tank as I am still half full. I have had the truck home now for about 2 weeks. I watched the on board puter calculate 11 MPG running an average of about 68 MPH ( about 2205 RPMs)from south of Los Angeles to here..estimated 150 miles. I do daily daily driving here but not that much. I still getting in it and drive it just the same.

All told Senix, it is a dream to drive and I cannot lie...I love it:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts