The Diesel Stop banner

I had a feeling

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BS Hauler 
#1 ·
When I had my old 97 bought new I could just turn the key without waiting for the light and it would fire right up in 50-60 degree weather. So I tried that when I was checking out my new used ride. No go, the owner states wait for the light it is cold blooded. Now as soon as I get home the next day 40 degrees outside wait for light click crank then it stops batteries low. Charge batteries, five maybe six cycles still no go. Plug truck in for about an hour final fires up. Checked solenoid appears to work. Guess I have to read up on how to check glow plugs with ohm meter. Maybe just order harness gaskets and plugs and just roll with it.

#2 ·
Reactions: ArcticDriver
#4 ·
Cool that is a great link, I did find part of that link the other day. It appeared the gpr did have power to the glow plugs for about thirty seconds. In my old truck you could see the volt meter move when the plugs were hot and again when the juice shut down not this one.
I am going to just jump the solenoid for about thirty seconds today. That should confirm it is something past the gpr.

#3 ·
Matt,

Same experience when I bought mine but a new GPR solved it straight away.

Until I installed it I had to plug in the block heater to start it.

I didn't change the GPs until a few months later with genuine Motorcraft.

Cheers

#5 ·
Maybe the low batteries do not help starting it. But I jumped the two large posts with jumper cables this morning very little spark. Left on at least 30 seconds before several attempts at starting. No Go. So I am going with new harness gaskets and glow plugs. Kinda kick myself I gave away new motocraft zd11's just a month or so ago with my old 96. I had no plans on owning another 7.3 powerstroke at that time.

#6 ·
My 96 would always start right up like a gas engine even with 200,000 miles on it. Never had to wait on the glow plugs. I also have my 02 that I bought brand new and I have always had to wait for the glow plugs for at least 30 seconds. It has never started as good as my 96.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.