The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photograph Product Font Rectangle Screenshot

Hi.... I'm new! I open a hood of a car and it may as well be speaking Japanese to me. So I have been searching, literally all day, to figure out how to spell out what bus I have. I'll do my best to keep it short. I live in Oregon, I purchased a bus from a friend who never registered/titled it from previous owner who's now deceased. My boyfriend who has a Tennessee driver's license went down to California to pick
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Bus Vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Bus Vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Sky Tire Vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Sky Tire Vehicle
Bus Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Sky
Bus Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Sky

up the bus, which was last registered in New Mexico (by the dead guy). We having fun yet? So he got the bus and Cali being Cali immediately towed it due to lack of paperwork/registration (literally, just bought it.) Soooo tbh I have no clue what the VIN is and now we can't find it and we obviously can't just stroll up to the yard nor ask the DMV so I paid for the Bumper App except I cannot figure out how to punch in the make/model of the bus. I was told it is a 2004 Thomas Built International T444E 7.3L Diesel. And if anyone cares for a free trial of the Bumper App, I'd be happy to send one their way so they can tell me simply how to punch in the vehicle in formation, so that I can get the VIN and get my new home out of bus jail! In hindsight I probably didn't need to tell ya all of that... I'm just streeeeeesssssssed out. I have the name and DOB of the deceased/current registered owner, my bf has a hand-written bill of sale, I have the current Title number and the previous Title number. I called New Mexico DMV who were absolutely no help at all. I've figured out what I can do I just neeeed the VIN....sorry for rambling. I'm sad. :cry:

· Registered
2,515 Posts
Any bill of sale for a vehicle must have the VIN; if it doesn't have that - no wonder it was impounded. In any case; as the person who possessed the bus last, he should be able to call the impound yard & get the VIN & all other details about what they impounded from him.

· Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
Can't help you very much but the vin numbers are usually on a plate that you can see through the drivers side windshield.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

· Administrator
24,991 Posts
By title number do you mean you have the actual title? If so, the VIN will be printed on it. Maybe you have just the number assigned by New Mexico, in which case they should be able to tell you with that what the VIN is, but may not because your name isn't on the title.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your help everyone, I truly appreciate your input. I do wonder if anyone knows if there is still a way to plug in the year/make/model into the Bumper app (as seen above) (^screenshot^) I very much appreciate all your expertise. Could anyone point me in the direction of what the make/model would fall under? I'd be happy to send a free trial link for the Bumper App to someone if they could help me out with that :) Thank you all again so much!:love:

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By title number do you mean you have the actual title? If so, the VIN will be printed on it. Maybe you have just the number assigned by New Mexico, in which case they should be able to tell you with that what the VIN is, but may not because your name isn't on the title.
I just have a title number, it actually hasn't had it's paperwork in quite some time! :) I think it's been a number of years since the New Mexican owner passed away :(

· Registered
941 Posts
Well it's time to crawl under the bus and look for stampings. Look at the motor and make notes of all the numbers. Transmission is the same. It might give you a idea of the year. The rear end may have clues as well. as you look under there look at the frame there has to be a vin number stamped under there somewhere. You may be able to talk to the CHP and they may be able to tell you where to look for the vin.

8,791 Posts
Do an internet search for a private company to do a title search. Some states do not allow their DMV to give out any info on vehicles except for law enforcement, courts or certain other government agencies. This law is aimed at vehicle thrives and others with bad intent including those with intent to solicits. Maryland is one of them but there are some title search related companies that have ways to backdoor DMV and insurance databases. You just have to do a search for those title search related companies, start making calls and explaining.
You might find a vin plate in the engine compartment or in a door. They put them there because cops on the side of the road can’t get high enough to look down through the windshield to look at a plate but can in the door area andor the engine compartment because the hood pulls forward and up. You can walk into an engine compartment.
Your impound fees are mounting and maybe now higher than what the bus is worth so you want to check on that status with whoever has the bus as of now.

· Registered
1999 F-250 Superduty 7.3L
6 Posts
Fun fact (not that this will help you any, but . . .): That T444E 7.3 engine you have in that bus is, essentially, a Ford 7.3L Powerstroke engine (with some minor modifications); Ford bought the T444E motor from Navistar, tweaked it for light duty truck use, and started selling it as the 7.3L Powerstroke in 1994.

· Registered
19 Posts
Not an expert in these matters (you may need to speak with one), but since your friend from whom you "purchased" the bus (YFFWYPTB) never titled the vehicle (and paid, ahem, taxes), my guess is that they had no legal standing to sell it to you since (assuming your friend is not a licensed car dealer since no temporary tags that would have allowed escape from the commie kingdom) YFFWYPTB possessed no title to transfer (unless -- possibly -- the deceased guy from New Mexico (DGFNM) left the transferee name blank, but breaking the chain of ownership is not something any state would simile on).

California is notorious for aggressively pursuing all sources of tax revenue so VIN or no VIN, in order for you to get clear title to the bus (with the great 7.3 engine), I'll bet your friend will first have to title it in Commiefornia using the documents from the DGFNM.

Title transfer to you, then, should be a trivial matter.

The bottom line here is that you're purchasing a vehicle; your friend must give you the document(s) needed for you to take ownership. If not, then you're due a refund.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts