The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am a complete noob when it comes to diesel trucks. Last night I purchased a 2001 f350 DRW 7.3L Powerstroke. Ran good on test drive and coming home and such. Had no problems. Had to work early this morning and it had gotten cold lastnight gonna say high 30's or so. Before I went to bed I read through owners manual to understand cold starting. Thought I understood it, guess I was wrong. Went out this morning ( didnt plug it in) turned the key to on for glow plugs, tried to start it cranked about 10 sec tried again after and no dice. turned key off then back to on and let plugs warm then tried again. Did this about 3 or 4 times careful not to over crank it. Almost started on last try and now all it does is click. Batteries are both new but terminals are neg is loose and positive is lightly crusty. Dont know what to do, had to call in to work day after i bought it smh. Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Premium Member
14,443 Posts
Welcome to the diesel world. You very likely have multiple bad glow plugs or a bad glow plug relay. Kevin has a tutorial on how to check. I will insert a link in a bit. You also need strong batteries fully charged which it seems you had and sufficient cranking speed. This can be hindered in freezing weather by thick oil. You might consider changing to 5w40 synthetic for your winter months. I also would suggest installing the “marinco mod” to make plugging in easier. Use the Noco plug as it closes better than Marinco's. I actually have two- one for my block heater and one for a permanently mounted trickle charger.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f47/hard-no-start-check-here-first-75094/

https://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/getitems.php3?Marinco Block Heater Plug Mod

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ANV81S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Lose and corded batteries connections is always going to be a problem. Not getting full voltage to a diesel truck will hamper its ability to start. If the cables are lose no way will the alternator fully charge the battery. I would make sure that you plug in the truck if it continues to be cold at night. It can't hurt. Using a full synthetic oil will help with cold starts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
congrats on your purchase. you definitely have something wrong somewhere. until you locate the cause, you will need to plug the truck in for 3+hrs before you start it. this gets the oil warm and uses less battery power to turn the engine over, it will also help if you cycle the key several times, each time waiting for the "wait to start" to go off. this heats the cylinder a little bit more each time. you really only need the cylinder to fire a few times before enough heat is generated to keep it running.
best of luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies. So it ended up being the starter, haven't had any problems since I replaced it. I do have another question, notsure if I should put it here or start another thread, but, I have no clue how much anti-gel to add to my tank. It is supposed to get very cold here in colorado tomorrow into tomorrow night a this weekend. I bought a half gallon of lucas antigel but dont know anything about useing it. tried to google it but no luck

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
The stations that you get fuel from should be switched over by now.

But if you want to add some it won't hurt and the directions are on the bottles. Power Service is easy to find but I like Styrerdine

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the problem i there is not directions on the bottle of Lucas I bought. Just says treats to 300 gallons on the bottle. It does have a mark to tell when its to half a bottle. Our weather has been warm just getting a cold front coming trough so I dont know if the stations have changed yet or not

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Just need to do some math to figure it out

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Here is the math:

(1/2 gallon X 64 ounces/1/2 gallon /300 gallons fuel) X 38 gallons of fuel per full tank =8 ounces (1 cup) per full tank of fuel

·
Premium Member
14,443 Posts
Here is the math:

8 ounces (1 cup) per full tank of fuel
And don't borrow your wife's measuring cup or you'll be sleeping in the truck for a week...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been using empty seafoam bottles for Power Service. been using it for the life of the truck. still have the factory injectors and fuel pump.
have a great day!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts