The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here comes a long post so get ready.

3 years ago i bought a 2000 f350 7.3 crew cab, long bed, dually. I pulled everything off the truck. This included cab, bed, engine, fuel lines tank etc. Sanded and coated the frame and put on a 2008 cab in the process. I put on new oil pan, valve covers, uvch harnesses, turbo, deleted pedestal, new up pipes, starter and alternator, fuel pump, sending unit, fuel lines and brake lines. New Master cylinder as well. Took some time wiring the cab to the 2000 but got it all working and fired it up. Truck had an extended crank of 8 to 10 seconds which became the root cause of me diving further in. I had oil in the icp harness so I replaced the pigtail and sensor with oem ford parts new. I replaced the ipr and pigtail as well with a new oem ford one. I also replaced the cps with a new oem ford black with pigtail as well. I started the truck and it was running well. I was going to take it for a drive when I noticed it sounded like it was missing a little. I pulled it back into the garage and a minute or so later when I was in the driveway talking to my wife the truck shut down abruptly. No smoke, no noise, no anything. I cranked and cranked and it would not restart. I deadheaded the hpop and didn't get a reading so I replaced the used hpop. While I was waiting on the new hpop I looked into fuel bowl and it was dark enough to concern me that oil was getting into the system so i pulled the injectors and shimmed them all as well with new injector orings. When removing the old orings i found 2 on the back side toward injector were splitting but not all the way through yet. Installed new hpop and still would not start. I again pulled the hpop and this time pulled the resevoir as well. I replaced with an oem reman hpop from an international dealer. Made sure the gear properly seated and aligned with the resevoir off. I torqued all bolts to spec including the 95ft lbs for the hpop gear bolt. I also replaced the hpop lines as well. Truck still will not start. Im getting no reading with the icp connected and the ipr duty cycle isn't moving either. Ive swapped ipr and icp with other brand new units just to verify and still nothing. The resevoir is filling up when cranking so I have low oil pressure. I am getting over 160rpms when cranking as well. Buzz tested and cylinder 3 was a little weak but I can deal with that later. I cant get it to start. I have fuel pressure, I have low oil pressure, I have new hpop and new orings on injectors. All sensors are new with new pigtails. Im down to a wiring problem or a pcm/idm. I ran it for codes and came up with the following laundry list of codes. If I clear them. They all immediately come back. The voltage keeps going low from cranking as well but ive been cranking at 12.8 volts when tested with digital multi meter. Any help is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
25,753 Posts
I'd start with the P1670 which means that the IDM isn't communicating with the PCM. Since you had to rewire everything into the new cab, I would suspect a bad connection in the harness between IDM and PCM. Also, the P1280 indicates that there's a problem with the ICP, either actually low pressure or a circuit is open.
I'm assuming you have wiring diagrams to track down the circuits to look at. If not, post back with specific questions.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not dead headed the pump yet but I did put a gauge in the resevoir for low oil pressure and in the icp port. Im getting no pressure at all on the high pressure side. I am getting 50psi when cranking on the low pressure side after about 8 seconds of cranking. I exchanged the fuel pump and I do have fuel pressure as well.

·
Super Moderator
25,753 Posts
Check the pigtail on the ICP sensor. You may have an open circuit there (Vref should be 4.5 - 5.5V on the brown/white wire to ground), and you should also have 4.5 - 5.5V between brown/white and grey/red wire. If you have an open circuit on those wires then the ICP can't tell the PCM to boost the pressure.
It sounds to me like you're not getting a signal to the IPR to tell it to close and make the HPOP work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
100 psi of shop air into passenger head. #3 injector passing oil out if spout..........and I mean passing

Ds head is good

·
Super Moderator
25,753 Posts
I think you've found your issue. The injector shouldn't discharge oil unless activated by the PCM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts