The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 F250 with a 6" lift on 37's with Blue spring kit, Edge tuner, Jet Performance MAP sensor, new Oil Cooler, New injectors, New Fuel filters, Oil Change, External Coolant Filter, New Air filter and at 142k miles I'm about to install a 5" Bulldog straight pipe from the turbo back. Last month I made a road trip 300 miles to visit a girlfriend and while I was there my truck started sputtering and died. I couldn't figure out what it was for days and after replacing fuel filters again and killing my batteries a half dozen times I discovered the delamination in my tank was blocking my screen in the tank. After all that money, headache and me and my pup sleeping in my truck for a week all I did was rig up a bicycle pen on the end of a 18" piece of tubing and unplugged the fuel supply line from the tank at the pump on the frame rail and blew into it as hard as I could and I literally could feel the line clearing as I blew the debris off the screen. After that it ran great. I made it home and two weeks later went back with no issues. I towed my 21ft 5th wheel the 300 miles home up and down mountains up to 5000ft with no issue. Then 5 days ago on my way back from yet another trip and only 50 miles from home I pulled down a steep, bumpy dirt trail to a bad ass swimming hole for a break from the road and when I was leaving I was only 10 ft from the top to flat ground and it sputtered out and died. I coasted backwards down the hill with no power brakes or steering to flat ground at the bottom and used my little bicycle tube set up to clear the screens and they didn't seem clogged. I spent four days at that little unknown oasis by the highway trying to get her started as I couldn't find a tow company that would come get me out or bring me home. I noticed the secondary fuel bowl fills slowly and as it does it has a little air coming into the bowl via a tiny stream of tiny bubbles. It will crank with no hesitation but doesn't even try to start. Even with the fuel bowl full and all the air purged it doesn't seem to be getting fuel or spark. Not sure which. I bougot this truck because I wanted something that I could rely on. After these two recent incidents I'm losing faith in my truck. I know the 6.0 has issues but I thought I had addressed them. What could be the problem? How can I test glow plugs? Could my pump be too weak to supply enough fuel pressure? Please help. To make it worse, my dad was pulling me home on a trailer with his little old Chevy longbed pickup and he pulled off to let traffic pass because we topped out at 40mph and when he did he hit a soft shoulder and buried his truck to the axle and the trailer sank too. Along comes a Dodge 3/4 ton with a Cummins and pulled the truck with the trailer and my truck on it out of this incredibly deep soft sand hole like it wasnt even pulling anything. I'm sorry to say it made me want one. I dont want to sell out or give up on my baby. I intend to pull 350k miles out of my truck. Right now I can't see it reaching 200k. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm new to Diesel power and I love it. I'm new here so thanks for reading my long winded post. I figured I would tell the story as it happened because I'm sort of a southern style story teller and I dont like to leave details out.
Sky Automotive parking light Cloud Wheel Tire

·
Premium Member
15,186 Posts
Do you have a metal fuel tank? I think only the chassis cabs had that in 03. You should have a polyethylene fuel tank. There is nothing to delaminate in that tank. What there is, though, are screens that pick up debris. They will clog over time. The big pickup foot has a screen, and at least in the 03 7.3 variant, there are additional screens in the pickup assembly. I would suggest you need to drop your fuel tank and clean everything. I would have a new pickup foot in hand as they almost always have disintegrated at this point. One trick we do on the 7.3 to isolate fuel issues is to disconnect our fuel pumps at the inlet and run a hose into a clean container of diesel and see if the fuel pressure corrects itself. That will eliminate the pump and point towards a tank issue.

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will do that next. I'm waiting for an ICP rebuild kit and a new fuel filter cap to arrive in the mail so I'll try that once I install the new parts. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts