The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 35 year old daughter and her boyfriend live about thirty miles away. Recently while at home for a visit she had commented “Dad, your truck is really noisy” 🤦‍♀️. I just shrugged it off. Yesterday while at their place for Easter dinner her boyfriend asked if I could drive his 2018 F350 Platinum and drop it off at a nearby town for window tinting that he was having done, while my wife followed in our car, and then continue home.
First thing, “hey where the H E double hockey sticks is the key? Oh!” Then my daughter sets up the seat massager and I swear she’s snickering as I say “The what?” So here I am going down the road in a truck I can’t here half wondering if this thing is even a diesel?, a 6 speed A/T that shifts so smooth I can’t feel it, and only know that it has shifted because the digital gauge tells me it just went up a gear, and the seat is massaging the heck out of my lower back and rump, getting a little to personal. Dropped the truck off and put the key fob in the after hours lock box.
Heading home my wife says “what did you think?”
I said “I love my truck!” ❤

🤣 No ill will towards the guys with their new fancy Ford trucks, I’m very happy for you, definitely an engineering marvel and light years ahead of my 2002. I however will be very happy to keep my sounds like - and feels like - a “Truck”🤣

·
Registered
White '99.5 F250 SD XLT 4x2, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed - purchased Oct'05
1,541 Posts
Last week I was parked at the grocery store waiting on my pickup order. My '99.5 7.3 was idling (it was cold and it's a very short round trip), an OBS 7.3 pulled in on my passenger side and continued idling, the same side that I load groceries. When the grocery employee came out he commented on the the two trucks. I said if another one shows up we'll need to communicate with sign language :) .

·
Super Moderator
26,322 Posts
I was fueling up a couple years ago when a guy pulled up with a newer Ford. I saw the 6.7 badge on the side and had to comment that it sounded like a gasser. VERY quiet.
But my 7.3L sounds like a truck (and I like it a lot.) (y)

·
Registered
White '99.5 F250 SD XLT 4x2, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed - purchased Oct'05
1,541 Posts
I think if 6.7 technology (not DEF) had been around during the Excursion years that would have made a sweet family vehicle. Although at highway speeds the sound of my stock 7.3 puts my family to sleep on trips of any length (yes, I've inspected it for exhaust leaks :) )

·
Registered
567 Posts
I loved my '03 7.3, and now I have a '20 6.7. The new truck feels more like a luxury vehicle and sportscar - super quiet inside and very powerful. I always like the 7.3 because it sounds like a diesel. The 6.7 has an ever so slight diesel sound to it and is much quieter when accelerating. My old truck will always have a special place in my heart, but I am really enjoying my new King Ranch!

Reactions: Big Horn

·
Registered
2000 Ford F-250 flatbed 7.3L power stroke with a 4 way chip and 6 spd manual tranny. 285/75/16 A/T
114 Posts
I just love the older diesels they just sound so much better. No offense to the newer trucks they do ride nice but they just don't side like they need to for a diesel unless u dump as bunch of money into it to make it louder and deleted. Thats why I love my 7.3 she sounds great and I didn't have to pay to have the sound lmao.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I volunteer on a Submarine Memorial, and have been in engine rooms with Fairbanks-Morse 38D-1/8 10Cyl opposed running FLAT OUT @700RPM, and remember GM WINTON 278A V16's in other Sub's. Don't get down to the boats much anymore so my 04' 6.0L with 310K on the clock does the trick for a Diesel Fix. Noisy enough to hear 2 houses down at idle, and it doesn't smoke when loaded up like the GM WINTON's. Buddy of mine has a 2018 with a 6.7L and I kid him about when he's gonna get a real truck. My honda Lawnmower is louder than his 6.7....😁😁😁

1 - 7 of 7 Posts