The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
6-71 Parts

I have a friend in Cozumel who runs a dive boat with a 6-71. He has a hard time getting parts for this thing, so i'll be his source in the U.S. Does anyone know of a good source of parts for it? Is there anything else i need to know about the engine other than its serial number?

BTW, I used to work at DD in Redford on the 53 and 71 assembly lines, but don't remember a whole lot about them.

thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
M4a2 Sherman and 671 DDs

The M4a2 version of the Sherman tank had a pair of 671 Detroits mated to power them. Most of these were lend lease units sent to Russia but also for the Marines in the PTO. Compared to the ones with radial aircraft engines these were refered to as the quiet Sherman. The Russian guard units that protected the Kremlin were equiped with these Shermans. They were much prefered over their T-34's. Twogun

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
The 51 never had a turbo just a blower, the 53 series came in a 2,3,4,v6,v8,v12. I have seen and worked on the 3turtb,4t, v6t heard of the v8 t,v12t. 71 series comes in 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, v6, v8, v12, v16, v24. All can come in turbo except 1, 2 cyls. there are also twins and quads out there. 92 sereis comes in v6, v8, v12, v16, v24. All can come in turbo, most all come that way anyway. 6-110 comes in both N and turbo engines. 149 engines come in v8, v12, v16, v20. most come in turbo engines.
All have blowers @ manual.
Look in the book, tired of this discussion.
No where is there any referance to a 'supercharger. All need the blower to run.
There was a guy in California who modifyied his 12V71 w/o blowers. Just had 2 turbo's. Started and ran decent, ran like hell w/o trailer, could pull NO load, not even a trailer. point is""" still need the BLOWER.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the 6-71

As I researched the Detroit Diesel 6-71, I found all designations including "6-71N" are "Roots Blown." All the 6-71 series are "Supercharged" or "Turbocharged" and not Natural Aspirated...............

Can some of you wise people who might know about this engine give me some insight if the DD 6-71 is considered a Natural Aspirated or a Supercharged/Turbocharged engine.

Any and all of your comments is VERY much appreciated!!
Regards,
Matt
Matt,
The engine you are referring to is a 2 stroke tight high rev engine. The 6-71 designates the engine as a 6 cylinder "V" style block running 71 series injectors.
It is not naturally aspirated and depending on the application, could be both turbo & supercharged.
And yea, if the rack is right, and the filters are clean,they run like a striped ass ape.
If you have 1 of these,and plan to run it in a street or strip vehicle, chain the motor on and the blower down.
Good luck,
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

SpunnKee

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 6-71 with blower only and no turbo is naturally aspirated. If it has a turbo charger feeding the blower then it becomes superchsrged.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts