The Diesel Stop banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue streak last night watching 60 minutes while they were grilling Staff Sgt .Frank Weterich for doing his duty ,following orders ..I know there are two sides to every story ,,,with that said ..

The part that made me so mad was ,,the smug attitude of the interviewer .As though ,if he were there,, it would have been a different outcome ...Having a son that has been there ,has made me less objective ..

A Quote from a comment on the story:

They place an IED then go throw on a dress and burka. The enemy is not clearly defined in this war, every thing is not just black and white, cut and dry. It is kill or be killed. We dont have a clue what our troops are going through over there.
Any way,, end of rant ...

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
friends that were in anm--said same thing--had to shoot kids--cause they carried ak's, and grenades---and would set off the grenades kamikaze style----that has to hurt,--but kill--or be killed---somewhat the same with the suicide muslims terrorists

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I though the same. It's a little different carring a mic/camera inplace of a weapon. What's that line...

"Walk a mile in my shoes..."

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I didn't see the broadcast, but I don't worry too much about a Marine E-6's ability to stand up to an interview, presumably one which he consented to.

What I do worry about is that the incident will be closed without investigating why they were sent into circumstances where their survival instinct caused them to fire on civilians, (assuming they were not simply ordered to fire on civilians) why the intelligence is so poor that they don't have what they need to distinguish enemies from bystanders, the whole weight of the incident will land on SSgt Frank Wuterich and the real perpetrators will waltz away scot-free.

Again.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
War is hell. Guerilla warfare is even a worse kind of hell.

Freedom is not free. Somebody has to be out there killing women and kids so the rest of us are free to criticize them. It's a tough job. But the anti-war leftist peacniks don't want anybody to tackle that job. And yes, the 60 Minutes show is plumb full of anti-war leftists. So watch it with a grain of salt. And continue to remember that freedom is not free. Somebody has to pay the tab.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't see the broadcast, but I don't worry too much about a Marine E-6's ability to stand up to an interview, presumably one which he consented to.

What I do worry about is that the incident will be closed without investigating why they were sent into circumstances where their survival instinct caused them to fire on civilians, (assuming they were not simply ordered to fire on civilians) why the intelligence is so poor that they don't have what they need to distinguish enemies from bystanders, the whole weight of the incident will land on SSgt Frank Wuterich and the real perpetrators will waltz away scot-free.

Again.
They were told the area had been evacuated of friendlys ,,,any one still there was a threat ....

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Action..gotta remember..Sgt.W. said he didn't see hostile action coming from the house..just assumed cause of its location from him. Someone said..kill 1st ask Q. later. IIRC..Sgt.W. didn't personally kill anyone, but also didn't see any hostile action being taken against him & others?

Other soldier interviewed (wasn't with sgt.w.) said visual needed, but he wouldn't kill 1st/ask Q. later. Maybe easier said than done? Tragedy for sure, but for who?

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Action..gotta remember..Sgt.W. said he didn't see hostile action coming from the house..just assumed cause of its location from him. Someone said..kill 1st ask Q. later. IIRC..Sgt.W. didn't personally kill anyone, but also didn't see any hostile action being taken against him & others?

Other soldier interviewed (wasn't with sgt.w.) said visual needed, but he wouldn't kill 1st/ask Q. later. Maybe easier said than done? Tragedy for sure, but for who?
They had to figure it came from near by ..

Kids dying bothers me alot ,,,It was the interviewer I had most trouble with ...I've been shot at a few times ,,& I know it changes things ...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Somebody has to be out there killing women and kids so the rest of us are free to criticize them.
That's a stupid statement. :icon_rolleyes:

If you meant to say that someone has to fight for our freedom and it unfortunately can result in collateral damage...........that's one thing.

The way it is worded however just gives credence to the whole story.

Although I personally haven't served (and take my hat off to all those that have), my Dad, my son and son-in-law have all served and each of them have enough maturity not to say something so dumb. :icon_rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
That's a stupid statement.
Stupid? Why don't you go to the war zone where women and kids are blowingup American servicemen, then come back and tell me it's stupid?

I don't have personal experience with the current war on terror, but I was on active duty from 1961 through March, 1973. You've heard of a little conflict called 'Nam? Even back then women and children were killing American servicemen. So I know that war is hell, and sometimes we have to kill women and children, and sometimes it's not "collateral damage". It was heartbreaking to watch our guys returning from 'Nam and being met at the airport by ignorant peacniks calling them baby killers. Now if you want stupid, that was stupid.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If it so happens that women and children are fighting, then yes....they are the enemy.

That's not what you said though. You made it sound like that one of their "duties" is to go out and kill women and children.

I can't help but wonder why you spent 12 years and then got out with only 8 more for a retirement. My Dad spent 26 years, retired as a CMSGT and yes..........he was in 'Nam too. And when he finally got home, you can bet this 10 year old wasn't calling anyone a "baby killer."

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
If women and children are the enemy!

Which in the case of Vietnam and in the case of Iraq, Afghanistan and most of the mid-east they are, then they are also fair game!

I was over there in 1971 and the enemy did not wear a uniform and line up in nice definable lines. WW-2 probably was that last of this, war has become a thing of more so gorilla wars and defining the enemy is difficult if not hard or even impossible at times.

I strongly object to be calling any soldier today and/or of Viet Nam anything other than a hero doing a hard job.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Somebody has to be out there killing women and kids so the rest of us are free to criticize them.
I simply thought it was sarcasm....(so the rest are free to criticize ) ..Its easy if they have not been there ...

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
I can't help but wonder why you spent 12 years and then got out with only 8 more for a retirement.
I had two small children and a lovely wife, and my next asssignment was to be a 13-month unaccompanied tour in Korea. No thanx. Plus they offered me a job I wanted as a civilian. They even offered me a nice promotion if I would work out of the Pentagon, but again family came first so I took a lesser grade to be able to work out of Denver in a different office of HQ USAF. And my almost-12 years in uniform counted for federal civil service years of service, so it all worked out fine. And I didn't have to spend 13 months in Korea while my small kids did without Dad.

And BTW, both kids turned out wonderful. :)

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
Ditto.

I could have stayed in after VN but chose to to in the guard and still got to fly some cool planes. 20 or 25 in is not for everyone. My EX has about 24 in and is a Lt.Col/pilot but she will never leave, no family or other life to go to.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If it so happens that women and children are fighting, then yes....they are the enemy.
Think about what you are saying.

Women and children are the enemy in a country that has no Navy or Military.

This is one of the many thousands of Red Flags telling us that we shouldn't be there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.