The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Sure is! I've run 5w40 full synthetic in mine for years. Rotella and Cenex Matron primarily. I find it starts far better in winter weather and works well with the oil change interval I run (variable miles, drop it annually with maybe a filter change in between if miles are coming fast).

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
There are no full-synthetic oils. It's just a marketing lie. There were a few back in the 80s-90s; but when one of them was found to be using that term for highly-refined dino oil, and got sued, and won; they all stopped synthesizing oil. Now, they all just lie to us, legally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure is! I've run 5w40 full synthetic in mine for years. Rotella and Cenex Matron primarily. I find it starts far better in winter weather and works well with the oil change interval I run (variable miles, drop it annually with maybe a filter change in between if miles are coming fast).
Thanks. Big help

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Yes it is very safe. I run Premium blue 5w-40 in my 99 7.3, 96 12 Valve Cummins, and my BOBCAT. Trucks get 5-15,000 mile a year and I all change once a year. I have a lot of toys so the extended oil change helps me keep up. If I was to do more frequent changes I would most likely go back to reg oil due to cost. I have never had a foaming issue with Synthetic oil even with 30,000 oil use. From a price standpoint regular Rotilla 15W-40 with 6,000 mile changes is hard to beat, 10W-30 in the winter if needed.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
You could always run a semi-synthetic 15w40 if you live in warmer climates but you can go more miles between oil changes with those advertised “Full Synthetic”.

The Motorcraft Oil filters are quite good and many of us use them. Wal-Mart usually has best pricing on both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts