The Diesel Stop banner

IC Install Phase II

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Patrick Feeley 
#1 ·
Well got the IC pipes fab'd up and installed. Turned out to be easy. I say that because I found a parts store that sells mandrel bent exhaust tubes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

Here's a pic:
http://home.austin.rr.com/jkmr/icpipes.jpg

The passengers side took 3 90 degree pipe and the drivers took 2 90s and 1 45 degree pipes.

Initial drive'n around the corner was fun. Lost about 3psi boost. Cool down after some hot rod'n was faster. When I did a run from 0 to 75, it looked like she ran about 150 degrees cooler.

The real test with a full load. I will let y'all know.

If I had to do it over again, I would because I am a hopeless gearhead that can not leave anything alone. Y'all know what I mean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Later,

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks great as you said it is definetely work all the work involved! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Justin

#3 ·
That looks really good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#4 ·
Very nice work, wish my fabrication skills were as sharp.

#5 ·
Looks great, If I can't get ahold of gts I might have to commission someone to build me a set of pipes.

Alan

#6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
If I had to do it over again, I would because I am a hopeless gearhead that can not leave anything alone. Y'all know what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I know that all to well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Nice job on the pipes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#7 ·
Can anyone who has fabbed up their own pipes comment on the bend radius of the mandrel-bent 90's & 45's (long, short, exact number)? Thanks & Cheers!

#8 ·
Hi Pat,

You will need to fab 3 90s on the passenger side and 2 90s and 1 45 on the driver's side.

Buy 2 Js, 1 90, and 1 45. One J can be cut to make 2 90s. That will save you $30 (15 a piece).

I can not really comment on the radius, I just cut, fit, cut, fit, cut, fit, ...

HTH,

#9 ·
Jeff, congrats on the ic install, nice work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif Do you still have the stock 1.15 exhaust housing on your turbo? Before I got injectors I had to use a 1.0 to get rid of the lag and gain my boost back. I guess by doing them yourself you just justifed the cost of your chop saw and welder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif What did you do on the sway bar?

#10 ·
Thank you.

It would of been harder without your writeup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

Yea, it still have stock housing with a BD exhaust brake on it. I can still throw 20psi. I am going to get me a Tony 4-pos chip when I get back from my trip this week. Maybe in performance mode, I can gain some boost back.

I lowered my sway bar 3". That still gave me over an inch of clearence.

Here is the other pics from phase 1:
Big pic: http://home.austin.rr.com/jkmr/ic02.jpg
Put back together: http://home.austin.rr.com/jkmr/icfront.jpg

#11 ·
Nice Job Jeff!!!

You did yourself proud! Smart to have painted those pipes before you installed them... I learned the hard way that unpainted aluminized exhaust tubing still gets surface rust. Last time I had them out I cleaned them up and painted them in Ford engine gray.

Patrick,

When I was purchasing the mandrel-bent tubing, I found the J-bends to have a tigher radius than the U-bends. I cut the J-bend into two 90's and used them at the inlet and outlets of the I/C as there wasn't enough room to make a lazier bend upward. If there was enough room I would have used the gentler bends in all places. Hope that answers your question!

TC

#13 ·
Jeff & Tim, thanks for the replies! I've got the I/C up in the attic and a new little MIG welder (just a Lincoln SP-135T), just need the time to play. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.