The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A buddy gave me a genuine IH/Navistar ICP.

The S/N 1830669C91 indicates it was for 94/95.

All the research I have found indicates the correct S/N for my 2000 is 1807329C92 and that atleast one difference between the two sensors is the earlier version has tin contacts and the newer version has gold plating.

I recall reading that the plating creates an issue with the CPS due to dissimilar metals so I am guessing the same would be true for the ICP.

My pigtail is the original Ford with gold plating.

Are there additional issues if I attempt to use this ICP? Can I atleast use it until I get a new one from Tousley in 1 week?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Gold plating mated to Tin plating in the same connector is a NO GO.

Also, the ICP is an analog signal and this article states Gold plating needs to be used to prevent bias in analog signals. (Is this why Ford changed from tin to gold in 1996?)

Gold or Tin versus Gold and Tin? | The Connector: By Molex

OR is all this much ado about nothing? Will using this ICP have any adverse affects?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,504 Posts
Your picture looks like a later ICP sensor. The older ones had a smaller hex below the body and the threads that you had to remove with a crowsfoot wrench.

Here's what I have from my PN collection:
TRANSDUCER - INJECTION CONTROL (ICP Sensor)
F6TZ-9F838-A
1807329C91 (International)
1807329C92 (International) (96-up)

That first Int'l number (C91) is probably superseded. You may be right on the differences on pin plating, but you should be OK using either one. A LIGHT coating of dielectric grease on the pins would help with potential corrosion.

[on edit] I read the linked article and I believe he was talking about RF analog signals (he mentions FCC). Lots of guys here have used the older CPS (tin plated pins) without adverse affect (that I have hear about).

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This photo shows I had the "old" style installed and that is why I wanted to upgrade to the new style.

The new 94/95 ICP is on the right and it is a new style. The only obvious difference is tin-plated pins rather than gold-plated but I wasn't sure if there was an internal difference as well. For example, does it share the identical pressure/voltage relationship? I think the ICP receives a 5-VREF.

Would dielectric grease alter the voltage slightly? Dielectric grease used to play havoc when it was used on my Audi electrical connections.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts