The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 PSD since new , understand it is electronic engine/trans. Now
I picked up the 93 F450 IDI recently and am just beginning to learn this unit, It has no turbo and I thought I understood these to be non electronic motor with computer only on the E4OD trans. Called dealer to try to get a schematic, By the way the dealer is a truck dealer exclusively and service guys told me there is absolutely a computer and engine is electronic. Some one set me straight as my readings here have led me to believe all the IDI were mechanical, or was there a cutoff date where they became electrical as well? To add confusion there is what looks like a data link on the firewall , under hood drivers side or is this something else?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
If it's a E4OD trans, the trans has a computer. The IDI does not.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You should have the data link to look up codes to your trans. Your motor is mechanical, transmission is electronic. The Powerstrokes, halfway through 1994 is when they became electronic. This is also the same time they became direct injection opposed to indirect injection

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I thought I had it right until the dealer chimed in, no wonder they change so many parts before they get it right, I would have been pissed if I had taken it there and he had changed the computer on paper. $$$ The first thing the dealer mentioned was "sounds like the ECM" now would he mean for a tranny or is electronic control module for the engine. On the PSD the ecm controls the engine and trans. IDI shouldn't have one.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
If you can see the injectors, then it's an IDI, if you can't see them, like your 97 PSD then it's a PSD with a PCM.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Another way of telling right off the bat is the fuel filter location, if it has a bracket on the with a spin on filter on the top, passenger side of the engine its an IDI. If its a paper filter located at the top center its a PSD. IDI also do not have a HPOP (high pressure oil pump), they run the mechanical injectors instead of the HEUI (hydrolically actuated electronically controlled unit injector)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definately and IDI, Just didn't know if it had and on board computer controlling it. Funny story, I was at the auction and it rolled by while I was sitting there F450 ,6 good tires is all I could see and it was a diesel by the sound, No one bid, I said 750 thinking someone would out bid me, long story short no one bid. didn't look at it in the pre inspection and thought it was a power stroke , after I bought it I found out it was and IDI. Up side is it has a nice 10 ft. diamond flatbed with headboard, new tires and I drove it home. bad side is I spent the better part of a day cutting out the old plow harness and all the auxillary wire they had put in for strobes , sanders and radios. 168,000 on odometer but Motor is tagged HESC0 reman, and Tranny is tagged Ford Reman. I drove it home seemed OK but all fuel and brake lines will be changed due to rot. will post pictures when I can. Good project truck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm just curious what you brought it in the dealer for....for them to say the problem is possibly an ECM?

·
Registered
343 Posts
the easyest way to tell if its a powerstroke (other then the fact that the powerstrokes have an engine cover that says powerstroke is if it has a turbo or not)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Truck not registered yet, conversation with dealer was over the phone, I was trying to get a schematic for the wiring due to many butcher jobs in past and having and issue with maxi fuse 22 blowing. When he asked me about the maxi fuse he stated it was likely the ECM, I said I thought the motor was not electronic, He said it was definately electronic. Maybe he didn't understand I said 1993 but I was pretty clear on that. Anyway I have solved most of the wiring issues, tach ,and tranny in limp mode. Anybody know where to get a good all around manual for 93 F450 also I'll take a shot at posting my first picture, I now have the avatar working, here goes!

Attachments

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
My Helms manuals only go up to a 350, the ford CD may be better for you due to HD truck info. Normally found on ebay.........

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
This makes me curious... I thought my 1989 F350 7.3L IDI 5-speed did NOT have any computer parts? Am I correct?
They don't. Which part made made you curious?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also in post # 9 the information is incorrect concerning turbo. 93 and early 94 dually have a factor turbo on them and are IDI engines.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
He was right and wrong in his statement.
While yes, they do have a cover (in stock form) that says "Direct injection turbo." That would be for the PSD. But Iirc, even the factory turbo idi air filter housing said turbo.

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
Also in post # 9 the information is incorrect concerning turbo. 93 and early 94 dually have a factor turbo on them and are IDI engines.
Depends on the month they were built, not when they hit the showroom. IIRC many '93's weren't turboed. The ones that were, were ATS systems but the airbox was stamped FORD TURBO. The same airbox on the ATS kits direct to buyers (like me) say ATS TURBO. But you're right, post #9 is incorrect,

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Factory: I did powder coat it:

Attachments

Reactions: 79jasper

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The other elephant in the 9-year-old room is that the OP posted a pic of a bricknose truck, and someone somewhere told him it was a 1993.....

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Is OP even still around? Lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts