The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Education: Knowing what questions to ask, usually after it is too late."

An IDI turbo flexplate is supposedly either F3TZ-6375-A OR 1816637C1. However, a picture posted on a forum shows those part numbers as two very different parts. Does anyone have a guaranteed correct picture of an IDI turbo flex plate?

From the discussions I have read, I expect a typical, one piece, sheet steel, with balance weight, a ring gear, and a spacer to take up the space previously occupied by the iron flywheel.

Will someone please correct any misconceptions?

TY
Ray

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Rock Auto shows:
F3TZ6375B for the Auto Transmission
Auto Zone shows:
F6TZ-6376AA as the OEM for Auto Transmission

Both are 155 teeth, 15.72” diameter. I would go with the Rock Auto part.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
An IDI turbo flexplate is supposedly either F3TZ-6375-A OR 1816637C1.
If it helps, I recognize the second number as an International Harvester part number so they may be the same part.

·
Registered
659 Posts
An IDI NA flexplate is different than a IDI turbo. The turbo flexplate has balancing weight on it to be compatible with the crank pulley which is different than a NA crank pulley. Many aftermarket turbos have been added without changing the flexplate or crank pulley. IIRC, only the factory 7.3 turbo engines came with that flexplate and crank pulley change.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rock Auto shows:
F3TZ6375B for the Auto Transmission
Auto Zone shows:
F6TZ-6376AA as the OEM for Auto Transmission

Both are 155 teeth, 15.72” diameter. I would go with the Rock Auto part.
F3 is 1993, B is non turbo, F6 is 1996

Both those would probably fit, but the balance would be wrong for a 93-94.5 turbo engine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have been unable to get balance specs.
If I had a sample I could get it copied. Anyone willing to part with one for a while?
Does anyone have a spacer part number?
However, my preferred copy would have the spacer carved into the billet.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Both those would probably fit, but the balance would be wrong for a 93-94.5 turbo engine.
If you say so. Do you know how many hundreds, if not thousands of us have installed ATS and Banks turbo kits on our non-turboed 7.3/6.9 engines and have no vibration/balance problems whatsoever? I installed mine at 30,000 miles and now have 249,000 and my engine has somehow survived with no problems.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
What does the balance of a Flex plate have to do with a turbo?
Any decent driveline shop should be able to balance a Flex plate if it isn't balanced when you buy it.

Reactions: LMJD

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 93-94.5 turbo diesel is a unique engine with unique balance requirements. The internal parts are heavier. Adding a turbo to the outside does nothing to the inside so balance does not change.

·
Registered
659 Posts
An IDI turbo flexplate is supposedly either F3TZ-6375-A OR 1816637C1. However, a picture posted on a forum shows those part numbers as two very different parts. Does anyone have a guaranteed correct picture of an IDI turbo flex plate?
Here is the difference in flexplates (Flywheel). Hope this helps you.

The spacer your asking about is no longer available any where. An IH dealer, if your nice to them, they might do a search of other dealers if one is available. I know on other diesel forums, others have wanted one with no luck from an IH or Ford dealer.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If you have a fly wheel, the spacer is as simple as measuring the thickness of the fly wheel, and subtracting the thickness of the flex plate. Then a piece of round stock, and a lathe. Puch holes to match bolt patterns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts