The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,502 Posts
Here's the link to the article so it's big enough to read. » TB 103: 1994-03 Ford 7.3L IDM Replacement & Diagnostics

That test is checking the resistance of the injector solenoid and the wiring from and back to the IDM connector. Set your meter to the lowest range you can get and probe the terminals. If your lowest range is 20 ohms, that would work.

P1293 and 1294 indicate either an open in the injector power circuit (center pin of the VC connector), or possibly a bad IDM. You should also check for at least 1 V on those pins with Key On, Engine Off. That's the base voltage that the IDM sends to the injectors. If you don't get that voltage, you need to check for continuity on that circuit back to the IDM connector.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK so I got readings....my digital probes were too big to make the connections originally, I got a small dial that made connections. hard to read but more look like I didn't get 3.2 ohms...more zero'd out on passenger side. Driver side was really high, my uvc connection is loose, i can apply some pressure and it more zero's out. so I gotta fix that. So that tells me all the connections are there right? so IDM bad.

·
Super Moderator
26,502 Posts
I wouldn't condemn the IDM just yet. If you've got a cheapo meter, I wouldn't really trust the readings that much. You can get a reasonably accurate meter for about $30. Fix the loose/intermittent connections and see what happens. A bad UVCH or external VC connector could easily cause the problem you're seeing. You might also need to replace the VC gaskets if the pins on it are burnt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts