The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a reputable source for a stock IDM? I've done the local parts store, and after a month on the road it's dropping half the engine at WOT. I'm not looking for a higher voltage IDM, or to increase performance with it, just for reliability. At 216 k miles, boosting one part of the engine might well lead to losing another...

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Premium Member
14,602 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I needed an IDM for a 2001 PSD 7.3 2 weeks ago.

Called the Circuit Board Medics. 2 weeks ago they told me that the test equipment for the IDM needed was out of service. They also do not refinish the old case. Mine did not look great after over 10 years in the wheel well!

Tousley had the best price. Just under $600. for a new one, plus shipping and I believe a $100. core charge on top of that. List is about $930. I was told.

You can also get rebuilt units all over the place. Ebay....etc. for under $300.

The hardest part is removing the old and hard plastic wheel well liner. And then putting it back in with all the fasteners lining up properly.

My new IDM fixed my no start issue. The old IDM went out with little to no warning. Stalled. Restarted a few times for a short period. The funny thing was that I first thought is might be the CPS as mine was still the original CPS with over 138k. I installed a new CPS and it ran ok but not great for about 20 miles. After shutting it down it stranded me again. The codes pointed to the IDM and that was what it was. It seems like the truck now gets 2 mpg more. But that is probably me just driving easier!

After a few tanks of fuel I will know for sure.

MARCSPSD:ford: 2001 PSD Excursion 7.3 4x4 (still looks and runs as new)
Ford had some great paint back then. Anyone know if the newer trucks have better or worse paint jobs?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts