The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have the 7.3 in my signature. I am stunned by the amount of Cummins Rams that I see on the road. This used to be Ford country, but I see more and more Rams. When I drive from NY to FL, if I see a rig hauling a car trailer, it is almost always a Ram. I just got back from being out in Utah, again tons of Rams. Yet, I search and read that Ford sells twice as many powerstrokes as Cummins. My eyes do not come up with the same analysis. What made you go with the Ford and what are the pros and cons of each? I am asking here because I would like to hear directly from you guys. Google searches have yielded rubbish. The searches seem to always result in all 3 manufacturers are good and we sell mods for all three. I want to hear from owners, not sites that are selling mods for each model. Thanks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I once heard the saying that "the biggest problem with the Cummins is that it is surrounded by a Dodge (Ram)". I have always been a Ford guy, so that's part of the reason I went with Ford. I also think that Ford's styling has always beat Dodge/Ram and Chevy/GMC in both exterior and interior. The nose of the new Chevy is absolutely hideous. The 6.7 Powerstroke has been around for 11 years now, so the problems you always get with a new engine design have pretty much been flushed out by now. It seems the weakest link for all 3 manufacturers is the diesel emissions system, and all seem to suffer the same types of problems. I took a gamble with the new 10 speed transmission when I bought my 2020 F-350, but so far it has not disappointed me at all. The engine is a beast and pulls anything I put behind it.

I see plenty of Super Duties out on the road towing big trailers - I would imagine a lot of the difference is regional. Lots of Ford and Ram out there towing the big loads, but the GM products are notably far fewer.

Reactions: Stroking it

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I once heard the saying that "the biggest problem with the Cummins is that it is surrounded by a Dodge (Ram)".
I was chatting with my neighbor the other day - he has a Ram 3500 dually with a Cummins and he said the same thing. Loves the engine but the rest of the truck is junk - rattles, the interior feels cheap.

I have also observed (at my dealership) that Crysler will do anything to sell vehicles but after that they could care less about their product or their customers. If you think genuine OEM service and repair parts for a Ford are expensive try owning a Dodge.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have seen a lot of Dodges pulling car trailers. But if you look at the truck it looks like crap. Fords are more refined. We use ours to pull RV's LOL Sure you can pull a car hauler with 3 cars on it but just look how stupid that looks going down the road.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear you. But, I see way more modified cummins rams in my area. It is like the enthusiasts have switched to ram. I have always heard that the trucks were junk but the motor was great. But, I have heard that they have caught up and that the trucks are now stout. I spoke with a guy in a Harbor Freight who could not stop bragging about the rear suspension in the rams and how he has had every Ford from 7.3-6.7 and is now sold on the cummins ram. Who knows. But, I can't help but admit that they are abundant in my neck of the woods and when I was just out in Utah.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty FX4
3 Posts
My brother has a 2017 Ram with a Cummins, I have a 2016 Ford F-250 with the 6.7. There is no comparison as far as I am concerned . . . the Ford has more power, is much quieter, rides better and in my opinion, looks much better. The only thing he has going for him is better fuel mileage. My Son-in-law worked for Cummins in Portland, Oregon for several years. He said the Cummins engines in the new Rams are not the same as the mainline Cummins. If someone brings one in to their shop for repairs, they won't touch it . . . has to go to a Ram dealer. I have a friend who bought a new 2021, and it has been back to the shop several times. The newer Rams have much better interiors than they used to, but that's what I would expect from an Italian manufacturer that makes exotic sports cars (Fiat).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts