The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I have 6.4 starters on 3 of our 4 trucks. They turn the 6.0s over very well. Also, I buy then from DB Electric and they are only about $80-90 each. Cheaper than the 6.0 starter at the parts house.

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ive heard or seen that you can even put the 6.7 starter in it with a few minor adjustments and it turns even faster without much more of a draw.
one other question, are deep cycle batteries good or bad for this truck?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Using a 6.7L starter, you need to get one new bolt and a bushing:
M8x1.25-40mm bolt
Bushing 8mm ID x 12mm OD x 15mm long

Quite frankly, the 6.7L might spin it slightly faster than the 6.4L starter, but it really offers little to no benefit.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I use AGM batteries and like them. I don't have any opinions - good or bad - on the lead/acid deep cycles. My gut feel FWIW is that they aren't the best choice.

·
Administrator
27,237 Posts
Deep cycle batteries are for stuff like trolling motors, etc. not for starting engines. They are for long load cycles and are constructed differently than a starting battery. Running a starter motor for the few seconds it takes for cranking an engine is nowhere near a "deep cycle".
BTW, AGM batteries are not necessarily deep cycle. They come in deep cycle AND starting load types. Click on Compare the Differences Between REDTOP® vs. YELLOWTOP® vs. BLUETOP® Batteries.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Deep cycle batteries are for stuff like trolling motors, etc. not for starting engines. They are for long load cycles and are constructed differently than a starting battery. Running a starter motor for the few seconds it takes for cranking an engine is nowhere near a "deep cycle".
BTW, AGM batteries are not necessarily deep cycle. They come in deep cycle AND starting load types. Click on Compare the Differences Between REDTOP® vs. YELLOWTOP® vs. BLUETOP® Batteries.
Makes sense, thanks

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I was actually thinking of the OPTIMAs when I posted. Some people on the various forums have posted that they have used the Deep Cycle Optimas and said they liked them. That said, I agree with you and the deep cycle battery is not the appropriate choice.

I have never been an Optima fan, and I have never used one, and never plan to.

I now use the Odyssey Extreme and the X2 Power AGMs and like them a lot, except they are expensive. I certainly realize that not all AGMs are deep cycle, and I was mentioning AGMs as a potential good choice for the OP.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Yeah, Deep cycle batteries are designed to have maximum output to extremely low depletion levels then be recharged fully all at one time. They are designed for a given number of cycles of this before failure. Your truck will not experience that given that it is charging when the engine is running, and ideally should never see below about 60-65% depletion.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
They do make a world of difference. Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yellow with light blue striped colored wire adjacent to the passenger side battery in the engine compartment, near the vacuum pump that has a "squeeze-and-pull" type connection. Disconnect it, and jump the male end of the connector to the passenger side battery positive terminal as tman said. The starter should crank when you do this.
I tried this and I still have no crank. My batteries are brand new so I know it's not that. What else could be the issue?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I tried this and I still have no crank. My batteries are brand new so I know it's not that. What else could be the issue?
Are the wiring connections at the starter in good shape?
Is there 12V power at the starter power wire (RED wire)?
When you jumpered the solenoid wire, did that deliver 12V power to the solenoid (check voltage on the yellow wire with light blue stripe AT the starter solenoid contact)?
Any sounds at all from the starter when you try to crank (ie a clunk maybe)?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts