The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Good luck and selling at your new spot. You have a lot of loyal customers

What have you heard on the 2017 6.7 with the engine?
Have you been getting pushback on aluminum body and boxed frame with their associated issues.

Always like hearing from the heavy hitters that talk to a lot of customers.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Have you been getting pushback on aluminum body and boxed frame with their associated issues.

I remember when Dodge put it's new boxed frame dually up against the Ford dually in a test and the Ford flexed so badly that it bent the tailgate. The Ford guys were saying how the Dodge Ram's boxed frame was going to cause issues with cracking because it was too stiff. Well, I see Ford is following Dodge so I guess the engineers think it will hold up. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Boxed in frames have a very hard time making it close to 10yrs. where salt is used. The metal used in boxed frames is dramatically thinner. Water, condensation do get in and start rotting. No Bueno No Bueno. The 350 cab and chassis and larger will have an open Chanel frame.

If plastic insulators are not used between the aluminum body and frame, the aluminum turns to white powder. I'm anxious to know if they decided to use insulators.

Scott, I'm an independent with loyal customers that look to me for purchasing advise.
What is the best way to tell a fleet buyer that the super duties will now be 150 cabs?
What are the interior demensional differences between the 2016 and 2017? How has this been received by your people? Positive or negative?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Scott, I'm an independent with loyal customers that look to me for purchasing advise.
What is the best way to tell a fleet buyer that the super duties will now be 150 cabs?
What are the interior demensional differences between the 2016 and 2017? How has this been received by your people? Positive or negative?

Are they back to making only one cab again? Like they did in 96?

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
From what I understand, they will be 150 cabs.
Back in the 80s they were the same and called by the 150,250,350 and bigger was called a Super Duty. So I guess 150 will still be called that and you will have numbered Super Duties, that will be 150 cabs. Inverted circle of life grass hopper.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The 350 cab and chassis and larger will have an open Chanel frame.
Not quite Nick. ALL the 2017 Super Duties, including the F-350/450/550 chassis cabs, will have boxed frames for the entire length of the cab. So all of your concerns about corrosion inside the box are potentially there for the chassis cabs as well. Consider the crew cab, for example, and how long it is. In fact, it is 4 inches longer in the 2017 than in the 2016, and all of that frame underneath that cab will be boxed, even in the chassis cab.

It is only at the cab to bed, or cab to work platform junction that the frames in the chassis cabs transition to an open C channel, by way of a rather complex overlapping welded joint. This joint is significant, because this is the area of the frame that is furthest from the front axle, AND simultaneously furthest from the rear axle, AND is least supported by either axle, AND is the center of the bridge between axles, AND is subject to the most torsional difference between the left and right rail, AND is the target center of gravity for the fully outfitted vehicle, AND in permanently equipped trucks, like bucket trucks, tree chipper trucks, etc... this specific area of the frame, the cab to axle junction, can be subject to the greatest beaming loads.

I've seen dump truck frames crack clean in half at the cab to axle junction. And in the new 2017 Super Duty, rather than a single piece continuous C channel that extends from inside the supportive triangle of the 3 link front suspension all the way back to the rear suspension in one unbroken piece of steel, there is now an abrupt transition instead, from fully boxed to a welded on C channel more or less terminating at the back of the cab.

This is quite interesting to me. I'm not predicting that it will fail, but I am predicting that the engineers must have put a lot of thought into how to fabricate that joint, and it does look quite complex. But only time in service will really prove the worthiness of this joint for "super duty" work in a chassis cab. We will just have to wait and see.

What are the interior demensional differences between the 2016 and 2017?

As said earlier, the new cab, identical to the new F150, is about 4 inches longer than the outgoing Super Duty cab, resulting in a 4 inch extension of the wheelbase in many configurations of the new Super Duty.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Where do ya go with that? As always, an extremely nice and thorough breakdown NYB

Four inches longer is interesting but that 150 interior size is smaller in other ways, correct. I'm just trying to picture 6 huge masonry workers piling into a 150 with heavy springs, flatbed masonry bed, heavy steel backhoe trailer with skid steer or back hoe, can't picture it.
The deal with box frame rot, is it's everywhere in there. You have no idea till it starts erupting to the outside.at that point it's late stage four. It's the whole inside and when you see it, it's breaking time,now.
Toyota Tacomas had it bad, breaking in half, or leaf shake weldments disappearing up into the box with the spring shoved up there. One of my stops has a Toyota dealership's service department next to it. They had stacks of brand new frames, next to it was a stack of rusted used frames. That screamed recall to me, so I shot a picture off to a member here and he sent Internet news pictures of them in service in horribly unsafe shape including broken in half in middle of truck between cab and bed. I knew one guy who's left rear spring went up into the box or what was left of it, at 7 yrs. He sold it to a friend for a grand who used it for the perfect body parts and drive train.
People tend to hold onto these trucks well beyond ten years and if you have that kind of weight tooling down the road with stage four rot inside of its frame and the owner has no clue.........
As of last year the average ownership for cars was 11.2 years. Truck ownership is always longer.
Well things are tried and changed. You take a Kennworth or Western Star engineer to dinner and drinks with an envelope with tickets for him to take his wife to Anguilla. Those guys make channel frames that can run in the Arctic when it's -50- -60 and steel has like a third if it's original strength. Western Star or one of them makes a cold weather model that has everything in steering, suspension and such 1/3 larger than one of its other models to make up for that strength loss. Anyway they can design a safe channel frame that won't hide rust and can be strong. Networking, it's all about networking. Adam Gryglak certainly was a networker.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck and selling at your new spot. You have a lot of loyal customers

What have you heard on the 2017 6.7 with the engine?

Always like hearing from the heavy hitters that talk to a lot of customers.
I've been here over a year now. However some people have stopped in there looking for me.

the 2017 will have the 6.7 with more HP and Torque.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
More power and torque?
Any word on a 9th injector coming like what is used in the baby Powerstroke? As in ford's own literature, it states it was utilized there to avoid the common problems associated with using the engine's injectors.

You say, some have come to see you. I'm sure lots will be tracking you down as many have stated here their satisfaction with you. Send out greeting cards letting everybody know where you are.
Good Luck Scott

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Any more updates on ordering banks or production dates? My local fleet dealer today said he thought it could be a year and half til we see them due to tooling change over etc. Thinking about a set of 20"s for my dually and if I have that long I don't mind spending the money, but if it's a year or less then I should just put it towards the down payment on the new one!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
273 Posts
I will never buy a vehicle from fowlerville ford. About 5 years ago they had a big "sale" and pulled about every classic used car scheme in the book. Needless to a say, didn't buy then, lost a potential customer for life

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
^^^ I haven't boughten from Fowlerville however I will say walking into the retail side of any Ford dealer will be completely different the buying through fleet or someone you "know" like Scott. He's been a vendor on here for a while which wouldn't happen if he didn't take care of the people on here (we kinda like to talk!) I have my fleet guys name at the tip of my tongue to voice the minute one of those regular salesman try and slither up to me!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will never buy a vehicle from fowlerville ford. About 5 years ago they had a big "sale" and pulled about every classic used car scheme in the book. Needless to a say, didn't buy then, lost a potential customer for life
When it was the old Owner Ken Delfore it was like that. That is not the case anymore. We take pride with our customers and I get results done.
I was not here then. If you ever need anything stop in and see me directly. I'll take care of you any way I can. I worked at another dealership that pulled a lot of crap with people.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I apologize then for my comment and attack, I was just screwed with by previous owner in a way I only thought happened in movies. I'm a frequenter of fowlerville as I have kids in stockbridge schools and play fowlerville in sports. I'll stop in and say hey sometime.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have seen them with and without. Ever they are M plate vehicle anything can happen.

also heard that a HD Off Road Raptor might be in the works too. Would that be awesome or what?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts