The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tow a 5er at about 12,000lbs and got 8.5 to 9 mpg coming back from Portland. Can I improve on that ? I live in California so being in a smog paranoid state what are my options ? Truck/trans drives best at 65/68 mph in tow haul mode on semi flat ground. Been lucky no tickets yet.
07 f350 srw 4x4 75,000mi completely stock.
Any constructive help apretiated.
Craig.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Frontal area is your enemy. Try some of the RV forums to see if anyone there can offer any valid info on wind deflectors or other aero aids that have worked. I really doubt any programmer will help and if it does it may require engine mods that will eat everything you may ever save.
Pen the numbers on how many miles you wll go and how much 1 mpg would make in less fuel money. I bet you'll find your budget is way lower than anything that MIGHT make MPG go up by 1 mpg.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Air foils/deflectors don't do any good. It's been discussed multiple times on the RV forum I belong to.

Anyone that spent the $$, reported less than 2% gain. I considered one in '09 when I planned my cross country trip and spent a long time researching them.

Besides frontal area, terrain will eat you up. Northern Ca/southern Oregon is not flat by any means and it's just a fact of life, pulling 18,000 pounds up a grade takes fuel. BTDT with a 12,000 pound '97 Jayco. Front was tall and FLAT, went coast to coast in '09 and accepted the fact that even on the flats of the mid west, moving 18,000 pounds at 65 mph takes $. IIRC there has been threads here explaining an exponential loss of mileage for each mph above 60.

New fiver is lighter (9000 pounds) front is more aerodynamic, and I picked up 3 MPG.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frontal area is your enemy. Try some of the RV forums to see if anyone there can offer any valid info on wind deflectors or other aero aids that have worked. I really doubt any programmer will help and if it does it may require engine mods that will eat everything you may ever save.
Pen the numbers on how many miles you wll go and how much 1 mpg would make in less fuel money. I bet you'll find your budget is way lower than anything that MIGHT make MPG go up by 1 mpg.
Thanks for the reply Jimmy. Truck towed trailer fine just thought I could squeak out 1/2 more mpg somehow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Air foils/deflectors don't do any good. It's been discussed multiple times on the RV forum I belong to.

Anyone that spent the $$, reported less than 2% gain. I considered one in '09 when I planned my cross country trip and spent a long time researching them.

Besides frontal area, terrain will eat you up. Northern Ca/southern Oregon is not flat by any means and it's just a fact of life, pulling 18,000 pounds up a grade takes fuel. BTDT with a 12,000 pound '97 Jayco. Front was tall and FLAT, went coast to coast in '09 and accepted the fact that even on the flats of the mid west, moving 18,000 pounds at 65 mph takes $. IIRC there has been threads here explaining an exponential loss of mileage for each mph above 60.

New fiver is lighter (9000 pounds) front is more aerodynamic, and I picked up 3 MPG.
Thanks Chuck,
Was hoping there was something I could do to help a little. At 60/65 truck stays in 3rd gear in tow haul mode and engine is working hard. At 65/69 truck actually
gets into OD and power band is there for small hills so trans does not search back and forth.
Craig.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I am not shure towing and fuel economy should even be used in the same sentence.
I do not tow or go cross country but over the last few years I have been seeing more and more stuff tried to cut down on wind drag.
Air deflectors on the cabs and now deflectors underneath the trailers on the big rigs.
Do not really know how much good it may be doing if any.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I am not shure towing and fuel economy should even be used in the same sentence.

That's for sure!! These days, trips are figured on how far 1 tank will get me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's for sure!! These days, trips are figured on how far 1 tank will get me.
Exactly, I'd like to get a few more miles down the road out of a tank of fuel. As it stands now I'm getting about 300 miles out of a tank of fuel. That's with a few gal left obviously.
Like jimmy said earlier how much is it worth to you in mods to gain an extra 50 miles per tank. A little extra power on grades would be nice but then there goes your mileage. Pulled that Siskiou south bound grade and got to 40 mph @ 2800 rpm at one point for quite a while, first time truck water temp gauge ever moved from the middle it was 92 degrees outside. More worried about the trans at that point.
Craig.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
The Torqshift in your truck is the one thing to not worry about. It is not like the older autos that get hot. Unless you pull hills really slow so that it is 1st or 2nd, the TC will lock and that fixes high fluid temp. The truck comes with a large external cooler and the radiator cooler.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I did the southbound Ashland grade in 95* A/C running to keep a long haired Siamese cat comfy.

2nd gear, 2800 RPM the whole way. At the top, engine was 235, trans was 245. 1/2 mile downhill saw engine @ 210, took about 40 miles to get trans back down to 220.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Torqshift in your truck is the one thing to not worry about. It is not like the older autos that get hot. Unless you pull hills really slow so that it is 1st or 2nd, the TC will lock and that fixes high fluid temp. The truck comes with a large external cooler and the radiator cooler.
Thanks for the info jimmy, appretiate it.
Craig.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the southbound Ashland grade in 95* A/C running to keep a long haired Siamese cat comfy.

2nd gear, 2800 RPM the whole way. At the top, engine was 235, trans was 245. 1/2 mile downhill saw engine @ 210, took about 40 miles to get trans back down to 220.
That is one long grade, same thing a/c going 92 degrees had to keep woman and two dogs comfy, more the dogs though. Lol.
Need to invest in a good set of gauges. Any suggestions ???
Thanks,
Craig.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
That is one long grade, same thing a/c going 92 degrees had to keep woman and two dogs comfy, more the dogs though. Lol.

Thanks,

Craig.

I have 5 Autometer gauges on my pillar. Not cheap, but very accurate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I towed my 14,000 5th wheel 1500 miles getting the lowest of 9.8 but avg was 10.5 to 11. SCT from innovative diesel on tow mode. Only mod. Had egr, stock air filter, exhaust, ect. Towed at 65mph to 70mph with side and head wind. Torqshift didn't drop to third that I recall. Its nice having the exhaust brake part of the tuner too. Don't have to use the brakes much coming down hills.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Thanks,
Craig.
For less than 500 bucks, you can pretty much watch anything that you want to in a 6.0 including EGT's. CTS2 insight would be my first choice. They read everything you need in a 6.0 IMO including IPR voltage, ICP pressure, IPR Duty, etc.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
For less than 500 bucks, you can pretty much watch anything that you want to in a 6.0 including EGT's. CTS2 insight would be my first choice. They read everything you need in a 6.0 IMO including IPR voltage, ICP pressure, IPR Duty, etc.
Thats a steal. I don't have OBD II so my only option was the gauges on the pillar. I have over $1200.00 in gauges.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I towed my 14,000 5th wheel 1500 miles getting the lowest of 9.8 but avg was 10.5 to 11. SCT from innovative diesel on tow mode. Only mod. Had egr, stock air filter, exhaust, ect. Towed at 65mph to 70mph with side and head wind. Torqshift didn't drop to third that I recall. Its nice having the exhaust brake part of the tuner too. Don't have to use the brakes much coming down hills.
That's good news. Truck is stock same same. Going to look into sct see it a lot on this site. Your trailer is heavier than mine getting better results.
Thanks for the reply. Been out of town.
Craig.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Do you loose your grab handle. Can't tell from pic.

Thanks for response. Just back from vac.

Craig.

Wasn't one in the first place on the pillar.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts