The Diesel Stop banner

in summer months, how long "wait to start"

7K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  JimTJr 
#1 ·
My "wait to start" light stays on for approximately 8 seconds almost every time. Do I have a problem? The truck runs great even when it's cold out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
Doesn't sound like a problem. If it sits for 2 or 3 hours, even in 90* temps, the wait to start light will come on for a while. At least it does on mine.
Joe

#4 ·
I brought this up last year. Mine will start without waiting so I asked why we should wait and use up battery power. Got a lot of answers including its going to light the plugs anyway you its no sabings. As usual, there was not a general consensus. Good or bad for the engine, I just start the thing up and never wait for the light to go out. ???

#5 ·
The outside temp in the morning will be in the mid 60's, but sometimes I start the truck in the middle of the day when it's in the high 80's low 90's and it satys on for 8 seconds. Is it o.k. to just start it after say- 5 seconds? I read a post on this thread about a guy who brought this up last year and never really got a definitive answer. What do you think? I trust your opinion, I've read a lot of your posts and you seem to be very good with your thoughts on what someones problem might be. Thanks.

#6 ·
Hot temps, no need to wait at all for the glow plug system. Start her right up after the fuel pump has run several sec. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#7 ·
No need. The gp's might not even be on if oil temp is up. What you see is the wait to start lamp self check. The PCM checks the lamp every time you key the ignition. Test for yourself. Turn off a hot motor then key it to run. The lamp will light for self check and no gp system will be on. If you have an AIC you can see the voltage drop from the gp's.

Bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#8 ·
If I dont wait for the light to shut off, the engine idles very rough, then stalls. Then I have to turn the key off and back on, then wait for the light to go out and it starts just fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#9 ·
Just from habit, I jump in put the key in and turn it on. Put on seatbelt, get everything situated good, and then start. Even do it in my wifes gasser.

#11 ·
On this '99 I just got, I have been waiting on the WTS every time until just the last few days. It has been in the 90's here in ET and if when I go out now, and stop for a few minutes, I just get in and start. It starts just as quick as it does if you wait. These trucks are like women guys (LOL) some start easier than others and I think they all are the same but different???? Agree??? If you want to wait, then wait! If you don't and it fires off then......... GO!

#12 ·
I believe the PCM illuminates the WTS light by default for a few seconds to calculate the time for the glow plugs to be energized - it does this by reading the EOT and BARO sensors and determining 1) how long before start, and 2) how long before shutting off the glow plugs.

This is mostly for cold weather operation or cold starting - as the GPs will come on when the engine is cold - even here in Texas.

If the engine is hot - the GPs won't even come on - but the PCM still takes a few seconds to do the calculation. I do not believe there is any detrimental effect of not waiting on a hot engine - but most of the time - I wait like Arisly - and always when cold.

Hope that helps.

#13 ·
[ QUOTE ]
If I dont wait for the light to shut off, the engine idles very rough, then stalls. Then I have to turn the key off and back on, then wait for the light to go out and it starts just fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Replace your GP Relay and see if that doesn,t help. (Its cheap) If not you probably have a couple bad glowplugs. Its better to find the problem now and fix it instead of next winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#14 ·
Thanks DieselDj!! I will try that.

#15 ·
[ QUOTE ]
My "wait to start" light stays on for approximately 8 seconds almost every time. Do I have a problem? The truck runs great even when it's cold out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fordfan73,

No problem that I can see. I installed a glow plug indicator light in the dash, for monitoring purposes. Evan at 80 - 90 degrees temp, the glow plugs will still cycle on for 8 - 10 secs.

I also installed a glow plug bypass switch, so I can shut off the glow plugs during the summer months.

Hopes this helps,

Butch Cassidy

#16 ·
The Glow plug light is completely independent of the GP system anyway, It will ALWAYS come on, the PCM commands it I am pretty sure, (that is why if the fuse blows, and you loose the PCM, the LACK of a WTS light is what will indicate it)
During the winter, the GPs will stay on substantially longer than the light, watch your dome light or the AIC as mentioned above. They will change when the GPs cycle off.
Also as mentioned above, I get in, put on the belt, check everything, mirrors ect... then fire it off, just habit. Will it start right off, yep,, if I try that too.
The GPs are pretty much deemed UNNESSESARY by FORD above 50* or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.