The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
IMO I don’t really see how you can improve on the original Hutch Mod. As far as the foot, there are actually two safe- guards for screening large particles the way I see it. On my install directions the tank ends are placed on 2X4’s on the ground allowing the bottom of the tank to sway down, simulating a tank full of fuel, and then length of the pickup tube is adjusted so the nubs of the foot are in direct contact and slight pressure with bottom of tank when tightening bung threaded ring.... so no way for large particles to get past, then frame located pre pump filter (also doubling as a water separator) and then the filter in fuel bowl on top of valley, and no in-tank screens left to clog.

Reactions: panhead george

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I did the Hutch mod in 2009 and kept the foot. Last year I opened it up again and the foot was broke off. I bought a new foot, figured it will out last me. For the filter I went first with the Baldwin but last year changed that to the Racor PS120 with the clear bowl. Lots of guys just use one of those clear plastic inline filters. I didn't want any filter or screen in the tank in case of trouble on the road, I don't want to have to drop the tank in BFE.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Big Horn: If you still have the foot "nubs" I assume that means you still have the foot so I further assume you still have the OEM screen that is on the bottom of the foot? Granted , That's not as fine mesh as those mixing chamber screens that we remove as part of the Hutch Mod. but it's still a screen. And you still got the foot which so many have had break apart. That said I guess it takes quite a few years for them to get brittle enough to start breaking up so it's all relative. I wouldn't go so far as to say there is no room for improvement to the original Hutch Mod. Neither would I say the Original Hutch was not a great idea. It certainly is/was. I'm just floating the idea of what (part) of it's purpose was supposed to be (eliminate in tank screens). Maybe the foot screen is of such a large mesh type that there is no issue with reinstalling it (and the foot) as part of the Mod? My thought was that ANY screen in the tank was possibly problematic & should therefore be removed as part of any "Mod" ?
I'm honestly not sure that my (double dip tube with V notches) ides is a flawed design option. In my head it sounds good. In my minds eye it sounds good. But since there is none out there with years/miles on it to prove it, Well....... Maybe, Maybe not! I also floated the idea to see if someone would speculate out a scenario in which it would be a bad idea ...Because......This could/would happen vs. with the OEM foot & screen it would not.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't think it's a bad idea, tom. It is a lot more work, though. Is it worth it? Who knows. When I put mine together i modified the Hutch mod by taking a pre 90 deg bend section of stainless, cutting off the edge on the bottom of it, and using that as the pickup. now, 9-10 years later, still no issues with it. So, the Mod can be modded, so try it, see what it does.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Big Horn: If you still have the foot "nubs" I assume that means you still have the foot so I further assume you still have the OEM screen that is on the bottom of the foot? Granted , That's not as fine mesh as those mixing chamber screens that we remove as part of the Hutch Mod. but it's still a screen. And you still got the foot which so many have had break apart. That said I guess it takes quite a few years for them to get brittle enough to start breaking up so it's all relative. I wouldn't go so far as to say there is no room for improvement to the original Hutch Mod. Neither would I say the Original Hutch was not a great idea. It certainly is/was. I'm just floating the idea of what (part) of it's purpose was supposed to be (eliminate in tank screens). Maybe the foot screen is of such a large mesh type that there is no issue with reinstalling it (and the foot) as part of the Mod? My thought was that ANY screen in the tank was possibly problematic & should therefore be removed as part of any "Mod" ?
I'm honestly not sure that my (double dip tube with V notches) ides is a flawed design option. In my head it sounds good. In my minds eye it sounds good. But since there is none out there with years/miles on it to prove it, Well....... Maybe, Maybe not! I also floated the idea to see if someone would speculate out a scenario in which it would be a bad idea ...Because......This could/would happen vs. with the OEM foot & screen it would not.....
yes, still have the foot and the screen in the bottom of it. The screen in the foot was very coarse compared to the filter cartridges. But, none of the screens were very dirty, so at 185K I don’t know if it was original or if the tank had ever been dropped by previous owner. I do know I have the foot sitting much more firmly against the bottom than what it was. I am including a picture of the cartridges when I dropped the tank and did the Hutch Mod— I really wasn’t expecting them to be this clean. I’m not knocking you for trying something different..... I’m hoping the foot never breaks off on mine but I guess it is a possibility.

539C4EB1-3193-436F-81E0-8F470B7DDA9E.png

21 - 25 of 25 Posts