The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compared to a modern car the range is not very good. Not that it is that easy to lose your truck in a parking garage but increased range would be nice. Has anybody done this mod: Put a second antenna opposite and matching the one for the radio?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
IDK what you're talking about. There's only 1 antenna socket on the RKE module. Splitting it into 2 won't make it better - it'll probably make it unusable. If your remote doesn't transmit very far, put good batteries in it and clean all the board contacts. Wash the rubber buttons with soap & surfactant - skin oil creeps around and prevents the pads from touching the board surface.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IDK what you're talking about. There's only 1 antenna socket on the RKE module. Splitting it into 2 won't make it better - it'll probably make it unusable. If your remote doesn't transmit very far, put good batteries in it and clean all the board contacts. Wash the rubber buttons with soap & surfactant - skin oil creeps around and prevents the pads from touching the board surface.
I have three remotes. One is brand new and it has slightly more range than the others. I have an antenna plugged into the stereo head unit. The module has an antenna plugged into it with a plug that looks just like the plug for the head unit antenna but the antenna or length of wire or whatever is inside the cab somewhere unless it shares the head unit antenna which I doubt. I propose to give the module its own dedicated external antenna.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Its own dedicated antenna is wrapped into the wiring harness, which is as external as it needs to be. The antenna is shorter than the FM radio antenna because that's how long it needs to be (1/4 wave length) to efficiently receive the frequency it's designed for. The most you should attempt (and I don't think it'll make much difference) is pulling the RKE antenna out of the harness & extending it straight up (inside the dash) toward the windshield. But it doesn't really matter which direction it points, as long as it's generally straight. The higher the frequency, the less-directional the antenna needs to be. That's why cell phones work at any angle, but CB antennas need to be straight up. This page contains some TSBs (the first TSB is repeated under the first 3 pics) & other info that might interest you:

(click this text)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its own dedicated antenna is wrapped into the wiring harness, which is as external as it needs to be. The antenna is shorter than the FM radio antenna because that's how long it needs to be (1/4 wave length) to efficiently receive the frequency it's designed for. The most you should attempt (and I don't think it'll make much difference) is pulling the RKE antenna out of the harness & extending it straight up (inside the dash) toward the windshield. But it doesn't really matter which direction it points, as long as it's generally straight. The higher the frequency, the less-directional the antenna needs to be. That's why cell phones work at any angle, but CB antennas need to be straight up. This page contains some TSBs (the first TSB is repeated under the first 3 pics) & other info that might interest you:

(click this text)
I recently bought a third remote on Ebay -- which has a little better range -- so I got the programming down. My thought was to get the antenna where it was not enclosed in the metal walls of the cab which I would assume block radio waves significantly. I know GPS connectivity to a phone is not too good with a phone on the seat, better with it on the dash but never as good as with a shark-fin antenna on the roof. I would just try the head unit antenna but it is very hard to reach because it is single din in the dash with a double din display.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Try placing it under your chin...it's supposed to use your skull to 'amplify' the signal. At least that's what I read a long time ago on the internet, so it has to be true, lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try placing it under your chin...it's supposed to use your skull to 'amplify' the signal. At least that's what I read a long time ago on the internet, so it has to be true, lol
I was actually bored enough to try this. Did not work, of course.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,917 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Actually, it might work better if the tinfoil cap has an antenna sticking out the top. True, google it, lol
And for only $10, I can tell you if you are gullible or not...;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts