The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks. -- Good to know. I wonder if the new 6.7 17's will require this new spec in the manual?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Here we go again. Wondering if this new oil will short change something for the older engines like my 7.3. Like the ultra-low sulphur fuels or something along those lines. Better for the environment but at a cost to the engines. I'm always leery of anything designed to meet new emissions and fuel economy regulations. I'm sure the government would love it if they could get the old diesels off the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question regarding oil changes? I bought my 2015 F350 SDCC DRW used with 22,000 miles on it and the first thing I did is a fuel filter and Oil change using Mobile 1 delvac ESP 5w-40.
I live in the desert of CA and have only put 3,200 miles on this oil change over a five month period. I have a 2,500 mile trip coming up going from CA to WA and back over a three week time frame. My owner’s manual says I only need to change my oil when the truck tells me to and I’m used to changing my oil every 3,000.
In your opinion should I do another oil change before I put the 2,500 miles giving me a total of 5,700 or wait till i get back.
I just don’t really have any idea how far I can go on an oil change before the truck tells me it's time and I don't want to be in the middle of my trip when it does.....
Your input will be greatly appreciated sir.... Thanks in advance for your help....

·
Registered
48 Posts
As for mileage your fine to keep running that oil, but as for age I don't know when the message center will tell you the oil age in the sump is time to drain. If you don't want to worry or deal with this concern I would change the oil and not worry about it. For a point of reference the ram cummins allow for 15k miles or 6 months whichever comes first to change the oil.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm sure some owners will chime in but I believe the average is around 7500 miles or more. It's pretty amazing how long vehicles can go on an oil change now. I'm from the old school 3000 miles rule too, but my 7.3 goes 5000 miles between changes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm sure some owners will chime in but I believe the average is around 7500 miles or more. It's pretty amazing how long vehicles can go on an oil change now. I'm from the old school 3000 miles rule too, but my 7.3 goes 5000 miles between changes.

The question here is not miles on the oil but how long can the oil stay in the sump before the message center requires an oil change. But I do agree the average mileage for the message center is ~7500 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the response guys. I think I'm going to give it a shot and do the change when I get back. It sounds like 5,500-6,000 won't hurt the motor... Thanks again...

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
240 Posts
Unfortunately, VERY unfortunately, the message center is dumb. The "book" says if towing more than 1k miles, then you are "severe duty" and 6k miles between oil changes. You would think the "oil minder" would keep track of that towing. It does not! I drive 600+ miles a day, turning the engine off maybe twice and on high idle maybe 20 Minutes, otherwise 60 mph. Even plugged into the trailer wiring and using tow/haul, it presumes empty running and waits 10k miles before telling me to change oil. That is too long in my book - an utterly useless idiot light for soccer moms.

It has no way of knowing if you are using full synthetic or not.

My driving is ideal with the exception of the trailer. Is 10k ok if I drive that way with synthetic oil and no trailer? Maybe. With a 8k low profile trainer? Not likely. With a 16k high profile 5er- no way.

On your holiday long trip - no problem but if you put in a lot of stop and go 100 mile days on the oil so far, the message center may come on when you do not want to see it. However the message comes on when it calculates that there is 10% of oil life remaining, which means get it changed within 500-800 miles or so...

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
You can have the PCM changed to alert at a different interval if you want, just tell the dealer.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here we go again. Wondering if this new oil will short change something for the older engines like my 7.3. Like the ultra-low sulphur fuels or something along those lines. Better for the environment but at a cost to the engines. I'm always leery of anything designed to meet new emissions and fuel economy regulations. I'm sure the government would love it if they could get the old diesels off the road.
Did you even read the article? Better soot management, less friction, more stable and backward compatible for the CK-4. I don't see a problem here.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I run Rotella 5/40 synthetic on all my trucks. Change it out every 5,000 miles period.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Maybe the Dr. can chime in but my understanding is the minder tracks hours, miles and gallons used. You would think it could adjust when a trailer is plugged in but gallons used does the same thing. I change at 3-5 depending on use but that is with Delo. Full syn and I would stretch it.

·
Premium Member
15,098 Posts
Did you even read the article? Better soot management, less friction, more stable and backward compatible for the CK-4. I don't see a problem here.

The "article" was written by the oil company. What Badbart recognizes and you didn't is that with every "upgrade" we've gotten due to better emission compliance the additive package is dramatically cut so as not to harm the precious metals on the converter and sensors. So now, for example, the CJ4+ oil has about half the zinc the CI4 oil had. New and improved my back side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: badbart

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Exactly RT. It's more about what the article DIDN'T say.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
The "article" was written by the oil company. What Badbart recognizes and you didn't is that with every "upgrade" we've gotten due to better emission compliance the additive package is dramatically cut so as not to harm the precious metals on the converter and sensors. So now, for example, the CJ4+ oil has about half the zinc the CI4 oil had. New and improved my back side.

Got oil analysis to back this up.... Reminds me of all the Sky is Falling rhetoric when CJ4 oil was introduced, but yet no systemic engine failures or increase in engine over halls as a result.

Todays motor oils are better in just about every measureable category and looking at hundreds of CI4 Plus and CJ4 UOA's show no statistical difference. As a matter of fact CJ4 oil's have done an outstanding job of handling the extra soot loads over long drain periods on DPF/EGR equipped diesel engines. Just so you know there's organic additives that's going into todays engine oils that you cannot see on a typical oil analysis.

·
Premium Member
15,098 Posts
We're not lamenting how these oils will perform in new vehicles. We're worried how they will affect older engines. Low zinc levels causing damage to older engines is well documented in the antique vehicle crowd. Going a million miles plus on CI4 oils is well documented. We're not talking about catastrophic damage that's going to happen with one oil change- this kind of damage would be extremely slow so not as to show up as a doubling of a wear metal on one OA. Which organic additive do you imagine will help with wear? All that I'm aware of deal with suspended particles and acid neutralization.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We're not lamenting how these oils will perform in new vehicles. We're worried how they will affect older engines. Low zinc levels causing damage to older engines is well documented in the antique vehicle crowd. Going a million miles plus on CI4 oils is well documented. We're not talking about catastrophic damage that's going to happen with one oil change- this kind of damage would be extremely slow so not as to show up as a doubling of a wear metal on one OA. Which organic additive do you imagine will help with wear? All that I'm aware of deal with suspended particles and acid neutralization.

I threw in the catastrophic description because some like to promote the sky is falling. Organic polysulfides, phosphates, dithiophosphates, dithiocarbamates, and esters are some AW engine oil additives. You can also include organosulfur and organo-phosphorus compounds. These organic anti wear compounds are supposed to activate at lower temperatures which also helps with reducing wear metals.

With the upcoming API rating I seriously doubt older engines will know the difference. The trucking industry is a good barometer as there's still a lot of older design engines still being rebuilt and put back on the road for another million miles, and these trucking companies are constantly increasing the miles between oil change intervals and the miles between rebuilds which is a testament to todays engine oils. There's plenty of million miles engines that are exposed only to CJ4 oil as well.

·
Premium Member
15,098 Posts
Those compounds you mentioned seem to be molybdenum salts. Moly is another anti-wear metal which has been reduced in more recent "upgrades."
Which article did you get that from? I'd like to read it. I have multiple solid lifter cam antique vehicles myself. I've always run diesel oil in them because of the higher zinc levels, but will now have to find another source.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Those compounds you mentioned seem to be molybdenum salts. Moly is another anti-wear metal which has been reduced in more recent "upgrades."
Which article did you get that from? I'd like to read it. I have multiple solid lifter cam antique vehicles myself. I've always run diesel oil in them because of the higher zinc levels, but will now have to find another source.
I don't have an article to reference but just listed some of the AW additives that are now used but don't show up on a UOA... Also Moly has been reduced for new tech Tri Nuclear Moly which is actually better than traditional Moly. Oil chemistry is not always more is better, but a balance of additives to meet a design criteria.

There are some gas engine oils with increased ZDDP like Royal Purple, Edelbrock, or a marine oil like Yamalube (API SJ) if more ZDDP is what you're after.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts