The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:ford:eek:n my 1986 F250 6.9l engine, I need to adjust the timing. can anybody tell me what those specifications are and what the best and affordable timing tool that would work for my application?:yesnod:

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Doing it the factory way requires a timing set that is no longer available. You can use a timing Ferrule and an inductive timing light, but again you might have a bit of trouble locating one.

I would call local shops and ask if they have the equipment to do it. Otherwise it's a "by ear" sort of thing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Doing it the 6.9 factory way requires an appropriate hygrometer and something like this, Diesel Timing Adapter for Ford and GM | eBay ;)

Best to go to a diesel shop and pay the hundred bucks
I did buy the stuff to do the optical timing method, though. Except for a test column.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Or you can head over to oilburners and rent a meter from icanfixall.

I know there's been a fall out between some of the members on both sites, but I'm just trying to help the guy who needs his pump timed. Sorry.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
If you actually think he'd rent it to any regular member here (especially me:lol:), you're definitely lacking in the TDS history department.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply guys. drinkypoo showed me a link for a luminosity probe that looks good. can anybody what timing advance needs to be and at what rpm? any help would be great. thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you actually think he'd rent it to any regular member here (especially me:lol:), you're definitely lacking in the TDS history department.
Definitely lacking and not going to name any others, but just thought it was a cheaper alternative to buying one...

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
There are damn few diesel shops that have any timing instruments to time diesels anymore, most will time them by ear. These engines 6.9 and 88 to 94 7.3's are so old most shops don't have a mechanic old enough to even know what that they were made. For that luminosity probe, if you don't have a hygrometer to test the Cetane, ya might as well stick it up your you know where. Save your money and search for cdnsarguy's post in his gallery on instructions on timing by ear. Ya gotta run these engines at 2000 RPM to time them, timing is set at 8.5* BTDC with a quartz pickup on #1 or #4 cyl.. With a luminosity probe in #1 cyl. advance is set at 20* ATDC, without knowing what the Cetane is, you might get close to that. With luminosity, RPM is at 1800.
I don't know the history either, only been on the TDS since 07, but I am a member on the OB since 07 also.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Im couldn't find Pete's timing by ear in his gallery, but here is a post by him.

Dynamic timing (6.9) via luminosity is done where a probe is put into the cylinder, and actually sees the light from the explosion of the fuel, and the timing is set accordingly.

Pulse timing (7.3) is done where a sensor of a timing meter is installed on the #1 Fseries or #3 Eseries injection line at the injector end close to the injector. NOTE Different brands of pulse meters use different sensors and lines, but they use a normal timing light to profect timing onto the harmonic balancer after conversion.

Some of us set the timing by "ear". This comes from some experimentation and experience.
I like mine so that when the engine is cold, as the cold advance is on, the engine rattles pretty loud, but once the cold advance drops off, then the rattle smooths out and the engine is much more quiet. If you have it too advanced, then it makes that loud rattle all the time, often accompanied by lots of black smoke, and if too retarded, will sound kinda flat most of the time, lack power, and often not smoke at all, or may even smoke greyish/whitish(unburned fuel).
When you are standing at the front of the truck facing the engine, if you turn the pump counterclockwise(top of the pump to the passenger side) you'll be advancing the timing, and obviously clockwise will retard the timing.

Ziggster's info with some additions by me............Pete

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
The cetane measurement is important, but the test isn't useless without it. If you run the same fuel regularly, then the optical timing test will tell you what your ignition timing actually is on the fuel you actually use.

I have a hydrometer set now. But the test is not useless without it.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Once again welcome to "over-analyze.com". After working in diesel shops for 30+ years, I never knew any mechanics who cared, checked, wondered, thought about, or deemed it necessary to know the cetane number of diesel fuel when setting the timing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. I have adjusted the pump by ear by how easily it starts when engine is cold and warmed up by adjusting the rotation of pump itself. I then adjusted the retarder cam on idle position of injection pump CCW to where it stopped and then turned it CW about .030"off the stop. The engine rattles from idle to about 2000 rpm then quiets down from that point. when I stomp on the accelerator, gray smoke it emitted from the exhaust pipe but other than that it is clean. When it idles, exhaust is clean except when cold and the advance solenoid valve on the injector pump is actuated. Right now I am getting combination of city and highway driving between 13.5 and 14 mpg. The way fuel prices are right now. I would like to get a little better mpgs. I don't want to sacrifice power, but if I can get a little better mpg, I am willing to spend a little money to get the timing perfect. drinkypoo talked about and luministy probe set up that works with a timing light for about $70.00. If I can get the timing closer that is money well spent. If anybody can help me with the info on how to adjust the timing and what those specs are that would be very helpful.I am after perfection on this. I have rebuilt the engine and is now broke in with new injection pump so the engine is in new condition. I want to thank everybody very much for all the info I have received. Let me know if I am on the right track on this. Thanks

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I will see if I can find the luminosity timing spec for a turbocharged truck. Just keep in mind you need a PROGRAMMABLE timing light to use a timing adapter

edit: I seem to recall the timing is 1 degree ATDC @ 2k rpm for a turbocharged IDI, with the optical method, cylinder #1. Which IIRC is on the P/S front. I am mediocre at remembering details, but good at having lots of bookmarks. here they are. They suggest it should be 2 degrees. Evel gave me a number specifically for a truck with a turbo once but I can't seem to find it

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/397671-injection-pump-timing.html
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f30/timing-ip-mt480-luminosity-probe-332002/
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f30/diesle-timing-timing-light-pulse-adapter-mt480-mt1480a-168434/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts