The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody Iam currently doing my injectors. Just a quick question. I was trying to get the fuel rail drain plug out but it stripped, actually both on the driver side stripped. I know there is the drain plug on the back of cylinder. If I drain that and turn the crank over by hand will that drain all the oil and fuel that has drained into the cylinder? I'm really not trying to bend a rod when I turn this thing over.
Thanks
Oh it's A 2001 7.3

·
Registered
617 Posts
Just an idea here... It has been a while, several years and it is not pretty but it does work.
Leave the injectors out and turn the engine over by hand. Use a long handled ratchet wrench and from under the front. It's not has hard as you would think but it makes one heck of a mess! need to put a towel over the side of the engine to cover the injector holes or put the valve cover back on or both. Like I said it ain't gonna be pretty, but it does work. In fact it may be easier to clean up than to get to that fuel drain plug. But you still have to worry about the oil from the high pressure oil pump...

Good luck!

·
Registered
617 Posts
No, but there will be oil in the high pressure oil rails that will seep out into the cylinder, there may be drains for that too, but it has been years ago for me when I changed my injectors in my 96.
Bottom line you do not have to prime the hpop.

·
Registered
290 Posts
INSTALL injectors, pull your glow plugs, roll engine over by hand first, then put your valve covers on, (just set them on), then crank motor a few revolutions, to clear cyl's reinstall glow plugs, NEW then fire engine. Done

·
Super Moderator
26,675 Posts
What dwright5460 ^ said.

If you don't install the injectors, the HPOP will just pump more oil into the cylinders thru the oil rail. And if you turn on the key, you'll dump fuel in there too, thru the injector bores.

As far as removing the small drain plugs, I'm assuming the hex stripped, and not the threads (if that was the case, you'd be removing the head to repair it.) There's no need to remove the drain plugs as long as you suction all the oil out of the cylinders (pull the rearmost injectors first so the bulk of the fuel and oil go there), then with the injectors back in place and GP's out, turn the crank by hand two full revolutions. Then crank it with the starter (after putting the valve covers loosely in place to contain the mess) with the engine harness disconnected so it won't try to fire. I wouldn't recommend pulling the oil rail plugs on the ends of the head. If you do. You'll likely need to replace the O-rings that seal them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
:smile2:
What they both said...
:grin2:
Like I said, its been several years since I did an injector R&R and I've slept since then.:winking::winking:

Reactions: dwright5460
1 - 7 of 7 Posts