The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have injector noise on #1. Very loud clacking. So loud, in fact, that I stetescoped the whole motor before I wound up at the injector. I originall thought I was dropping a valve.

I have real media file of the sound if anyone wants to give advice- just PM me. Truck runs great- maybe I'm just a tweek and worried about nothing. I just don't remember any DT466 injectors sounding like that when I used to work on them 12 years ago.

· Registered
195 Posts
It could be that the injector is sticking, I had a simmilar problem a while ago, and was told by a diesel mechanic that this was the problem, mine wasnt that easy, mine ened up being wter in the cylinder and as I was bleeding the 8 new injectors bang, it stopped and had thrown a rod threw the oil pan, hope this is not your case:ford:

· Registered
1,265 Posts
x2 on injector sticking, or perhaps the spring inside the injector has weakened or broken. Either condition will cause fuel to be injected early, basically the same as advancing the timing. Advanced timing = more combustion knock. I'd remove the injector and pop test it.

· Registered
12,232 Posts
Could be compression backing up into the injector...... is the line really warm when running compared to others..

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked GP resistance and all are even. No appreciable temp difference in injector lines. I think I am narrowing in on a sticky injector. Going to dump some HD injector cleaner in to see if it helps. Mileage says I need new/rebuilt ones but I wanted to replace the IP at the same time. Since I only have 50,000 miles, by the book, till overhaul, I will try to run these units out withthe engine. Mileage is running beween 18 and 19 MPG so not too worried.

· Registered
1,265 Posts
If you are patient and mechanically inclined, you can remove the injector in question and disassemble it to see if you can see any obvious problems. Once you have the injector apart the pintle should move freely inside the nozzle. The only tools you need to take the injector apart are a bench vise (to hold the injector) and a 13 or 14mm wrench.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.