The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what the 92 7.3 injector pop-off psi is? Im going to be testing my 92's injectors in the next day or so and I need to make sure i get the right pressure for them. I read somewhere on here about the 6.9's pop off at 1900psi. but Ive heard anywhere from 1400 to 1700 is where they need to be but I cant find the psi listed in a book or anywhere. Im pretty sure one of the injectors is my problem with all the black smoke its blowing and it does a small puff-puff smoke in 5th when I increase the throttle but I know that its timed right. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I believe it's 1900 +/- 50 psi for a new one non-turbo and 2100 for turbo.

The minimum spec before replacement is 1450 which seems crazy to me.

With your truck and 4" exhaust it may be proper theory to run a tiny bit higher than factory non-turbo spec due to better air flow and somewhat higher compression nearing turbo specs. The factory turbo didn't have much boost or exhaust flow.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I believe it's 1900 +/- 50 psi for a new one non-turbo and 2100 for turbo.

The minimum spec before replacement is 1450 which seems crazy to me.

With your truck and 4" exhaust it may be proper theory to run a tiny bit higher than factory non-turbo spec due to better air flow and somewhat higher compression nearing turbo specs. The factory turbo didn't have much boost or exhaust flow.
My IP is just out of the shop and waiting for my heads to get back before install. I asked the guy at the shop what the difference in pop off for the injector was and he said none. I'm not disagreeing with anyone here. Anyway I bought eight new injectors since labot to overhual was about the same. He did say that the IP settings were different for the IDI turbo slighty more flow. He read off some specs that talked about CC's etc but it was greek to me. I think I'll take the part number from the new injectors and check with the ford dealer and see if it's the one they show.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok ill try to check them tommorow if I can get acess to a tester. Ive only got about 10,000 miles on those and I bought them last august 09 when I had the pump rebuilt. But like i said the truck doing that little puffing smoke on acceleration and I think that would be just one injector causing that. I think that one of them is just poping off at a low psi and streaming. but ive cracked all 8 lines while it was running and they all react so im hoping its not in the pump. but if it is thank goodness for my wallet its an idi and not a powerstroke.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Spec for N/A inj is 1900 psi +- 50. Replace under 1500 psi. I set these inj to 2100 psi used, 2400 psi new. They work much better up there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anybody know what the 92 7.3 injector pop-off psi is? Im going to be testing my 92's injectors in the next day or so and I need to make sure i get the right pressure for them. I read somewhere on here about the 6.9's pop off at 1900psi. but Ive heard anywhere from 1400 to 1700 is where they need to be but I cant find the psi listed in a book or anywhere. Im pretty sure one of the injectors is my problem with all the black smoke its blowing and it does a small puff-puff smoke in 5th when I increase the throttle but I know that its timed right. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Ford specs for the factory turbo injectors are 1900 psi with a 75 psi variable above or below optimum and replacement psi at 1450. The turbo engine calls for the "G" code injectors while the NA calls for the "E". The injectors are stamped with their code letters.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got them out right now and wont get to the test stand til tonite. But 7 of them are Stanadyne "D"s and one of them is a "cal"-something stamped "BB" and has a different nut on the bottom than the rest do. that probly isnt supposed to be like that but either way Im still going to test them tonite. Im betting that odd one probly is running some diffrent psi. and making it puff like that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i pressure checked the injectors this evening. Only 5 of them were putting any fuel to the cylinders and all running a different psi.I guess that explains all the black smoke and low power ( I was making the cummins guys jealous of all the black smoke I was making) .the 3 others were just sending the diesel thru the return port with the test stand holding 2300+.So I think its best just go and put 8 new ones in it. O'reilly's has them for $32.99 but I dont know that they are matched a certain psi at the parts stores.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Typefour tests them first and sells them matched, might try a PM to him.

I got a whole set of new Delphi's on E-bay for I think $160.00 shipped, never tested them though, I plan on building a tester soon, got an extra injector line from Pick and Pull for three bucks the other day.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The delphi injectors the overhaul shop sold me were not "g" type I need for my factory turbo so I took them back.

I just ordered eight from Mid-Western for about $32 each type "G". They also have "e". New not rebuilt, seemed the best solution.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I bought the set of 8 BWD from Oreillys. They come with the copper washers and O rings. I got them all in but I cross-threaded one them so its spittin diesel everywhere. OOPS!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I looking to put together an injector pressure tester and need to find an adapter to fit the line to a pipe thread.

Anyone have an idea where I can get it.

Grainger does not have the fitting, although I did get the 2000 PSI gauge there for $14 and change.

Also, an idea for a cheap pump other than an adapted 2000 lb bottle jack?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I built one out of a 2 ton Porta Power pump. The fittings were fcrom McMaster-Carr, this was for the 617 Mercedes injectors, but it will work for any diesel injectors with some fittings changing. This design called for a liquid filled gauge, but I've been told that a dry gauge with a ball valve (to check chatter) is more accurate. Here's the thread that got me started:

Easy homemade pop tester - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

I looking to put together an injector pressure tester and need to find an adapter to fit the line to a pipe thread.

Anyone have an idea where I can get it.

Grainger does not have the fitting, although I did get the 2000 PSI gauge there for $14 and change.

Also, an idea for a cheap pump other than an adapted 2000 lb bottle jack?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I built one out of a 2 ton Porta Power pump. The fittings were fcrom McMaster-Carr, this was for the 617 Mercedes injectors, but it will work for any diesel injectors with some fittings changing.
Would you just happen to have that part number for the fittings that were purchased from McMaster-Carr?

Even though I'm in the process of posting listings to sell my truck, I would like to finish the project.

5 Minutes later.......................................

And then I looked at the link you provided.

Just to double check that these are the parts you refer to?
Primarily for me, the 6MM tube one?
Whatever the pipe fittings are I can adapt as I have yet to machine the bottle jacks ram replacement part, so I can tap the internal threads to whatever size is needed.

McMaster Carr

5269K311 $3.47
METRIC STEEL COMPRESSION TUBE FITTING, ADAPTER FOR 6 MM TUBE OD X 1/8" NPT MALE PIPE

50925K343 $1.53
COMPACT EXTREME-PRESSURE STEEL THRD FITTING, 3/8"MALE X 1/8"FEM PIPE, HEX HEAD BUSHING,6000 PSI

3845K23 $18.49
GLYCERIN-FILLED GAUGE - 1% MID-SCALE ACCURACY, 2-1/2" DIAL, 1/4" BOTTOM, 0 - 3000 PSI

50925K345 $1.30
COMPACT EXTREME-PRESSURE STEEL THRD FITTING, 3/8"MALE X 1/4"FEM PIPE,HEX HEAD BUSHING, 6000 PSI

50925K198 $7.11
COMPACT EXTREME-PRESSURE STEEL THRD FITTING, 3/8" PIPE, FEMALE X FEMALE X MALE TEE, 4500 PSI

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to double check that these are the parts you refer to?
Primarily for me, the 6MM tube one?
Whatever the pipe fittings are I can adapt as I have yet to machine the bottle jacks ram replacement part, so I can tap the internal threads to whatever size is needed.

McMaster Carr

5269K311 $3.47
METRIC STEEL COMPRESSION TUBE FITTING, ADAPTER FOR 6 MM TUBE OD X 1/8" NPT MALE PIPE

50925K343 $1.53
COMPACT EXTREME-PRESSURE STEEL THRD FITTING, 3/8"MALE X 1/8"FEM PIPE, HEX HEAD BUSHING,6000 PSI

3845K23 $18.49
GLYCERIN-FILLED GAUGE - 1% MID-SCALE ACCURACY, 2-1/2" DIAL, 1/4" BOTTOM, 0 - 3000 PSI

50925K345 $1.30
COMPACT EXTREME-PRESSURE STEEL THRD FITTING, 3/8"MALE X 1/4"FEM PIPE,HEX HEAD BUSHING, 6000 PSI

50925K198 $7.11
COMPACT EXTREME-PRESSURE STEEL THRD FITTING, 3/8" PIPE, FEMALE X FEMALE X MALE TEE, 4500 PSI[/QUOTE]

Since you are using a bottle jack, I would guess (but I'm not certain) that you can set it up to use the 6mm fitting, I just can't say. I used a portapower copy off eBay and had to find a different fitting for that spot, but it was just off the rack, I don't know the size. So you would have to consider the size of the existing outlet and adjust as necessary. The rest of the fittings worked as listed. I am going to utilize a ball valve and a dry gauge instead of, or in conjunction with the glycerin filled valve due to some stated concerns about correct readings when doing the chatter test. That and the dry gauge is a 4.5" 1% 4000 PSI, which is easier to read.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Keep a eye on ebay I got the Ford Rotunda injector pop tester from ebay years back. Lots of dealers have closed so lots of the Rotunda tools end up on ebay

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK -so I bought a Chinese tester, guess what? It works! My old injectors were all over the map, most 1850-1900, one was 1400, one was 2400! Plus they didn't "pop" they kinda just took a diesel piss. SO .. I ordered a matched set from Pensacola Diesel. Remanufactured, 189.00. They look snazzy, BUT-- they test at 1550-1650. They do "pop" good. Chatter good.. but the low pressure concerns me..

Side note- 1991 F250 7.3L IDI, original injector code "E", the ones from Pensacola Diesel say "3008". No letter code. Weird.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts