The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
I have an 88 ZF5 trans that needs the input shaft seal replaced. I was wondering if there is anybody that could tell me whether the seal can be pressed in from the outside or do I have to pull apart the case and press it is from the inside? Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
According to the manual for 1996, the input shaft seals can be replaced from the outside. I can't imagine yours being that much different. I didn't know which one you were refering to so I posted for both front and rear seals (for 4x2 and 4x4 since that wasn't mentioned either). From the 1996 manual:

Front Seal
SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED
Input Shaft Seal Replacer, T95T-7025-A
Note:
The through-bore of oil seal is designed such that the oil seal can be removed without having to disassemble the transmission (7003) if removal and replacement of oil seal is all that is required.

Removal

1. For 7.3L and 7.5L engine applications, remove the three release bearing guide tube retaining screws. Remove guide tube.

2. Tap on the oil seal with a screwdriver until the oil seal turns. Then use a screwdriver to pry out the seal.

Installation

1. Insert new oil seal over input shaft and drive it flush with the case using Input Shaft Seal Replacer T95T-7025-A.

2. For 7.3L and 7.5L engine applications, insert guide tube over input shaft. Insert and tighten three bolts (7A443) to 24 N-m (18 lb-ft).

Rear Seal, 4x2 Transmissions (Except F-Super Duty)
Companion Flange Holding Tool, T78P-4851-A
Locknut Socket, T87T-7025-AH
Rear Seal Remover, T87T-7025-CH
TOD Forcing Screw, T84T-7025-B

Removal

1. Disconnect the driveshaft (4602) from the output flange.

2. Attach Companion Flange Holding Tool T78P-4851-A to the transmission output flange with four hex bolts.

3. Loosen the hex nut that holds the output flange to the mainshaft with Locknut Socket T87T-7025-AH. Remove the flange holding tool after loosening the nut.

4. Remove the output flange from the mainshaft.

5. Insert Rear Seal Remover T87T-7025-CH over output end of mainshaft and tighten into oil seal (7052).

6. Assemble TOD Forcing Screw T84T-7025-B into seal remover. Turn forcing screw while holding seal remover to pull oil seal.

Rear Seal, 4x4 and F-Super Duty Series Transmissions

Removal and installation is the same as for the 4x2 with the additional steps of removing and installing the transfer case.

On F-Super Duty series vehicles, remove the transmission-mounted parking brake as described in «Section 06-05» in the Body, Chassis manual.
Impact Slide Hammer, T50T-100-A

1. Note: Refer to «Transmission» in the Disassembly portion of this section for removal procedure.

If required, drive out the two dowel pins from extension housing (7A039).

2. Using Impact Slide Hammer T50T-100-A, and Internal Puller D80L-943-A or equivalent, remove the outer race of output shaft rear bearing (7R205) from the extension housing.

3. Using a suitable drift, drive the oil seal (7052) out of the extension housing and discard.

4. Using Impact Slide Hammer T50T-100-A and Internal Puller D80L-943-A or equivalent, remove the countershaft rear bearing outer race from the extension housing.

5. If required, remove the central shift rail bearing from the extension housing. Use Blind Hole Puller D80L-100-Q or equivalent and Impact Slide Hammer T50T-100-A to remove the bearing.

Rear Seal
Rear Seal Replacer, T87T-7025-BH
Companion Flange Holding Tool, T78P-4851-A
Locknut Socket, T87T-7025-AH

1. Position the oil seal (7052) on Rear Seal Replacer T87T-7025-BH and position the oil seal and tool over the output end of the mainshaft.

2. Apply a little liquid soap around the circumference to minimize friction. Using a soft hammer, gently tap the Rear Seal Replacer T87T-7025-BH until it seats in the opening.

3. Install the output flange on the output end of the mainshaft.

4. Attach Companion Flange Holding Tool T78P-4851-A to the transmission output flange with four hex bolts.

5. CAUTION: Do not reuse the output flange retaining nut after any servicing of the transmission (7003). Always replace it with a new one.

Install a new output flange retaining nut (F3TZ-7045-A) on the mainshaft with Locknut Socket T87T-7025-AH. Tighten the nut to 270 N-m (200 lb-ft). Remove the flange holding tool after tightening the nut.

6. Connect the driveshaft to the output flange.

Do not re-use the yoke nut as mentioned! Get a new one (if you don't it will come loose and leak). Hope that helps. Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts