The Diesel Stop banner

Installing a 2 micron filter between the HPOP and the injectors in a HEUI system

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Horn 
#1 ·
Yes, someone did it. DEBOSS GARAGE (YouTube) did it on a Caterpillar 3126 he's shoehorning into an OBS F-350. It's a Parker filter designed for operating pressures up to 5,000 psi. He got it off eBay for $65 he says.

Here's the video cued up to the High-Pressure Oil filter section: VIDEO

Here's the line of parts from Parker: High-Pressure Inline Filter WPF Series

I would love to install such a system on my 7.3. It would protect the injectors and serve as a bypass oil filter for the entire engine. The bad part, you're adding another "dead space" of used engine oil that would be extra effort to get out at each oil change.

#2 ·
Holy Crap! You're going to lose about 5 mpg just from the weight of that filter! ;)

There are easier ways to get a bypass oil filter. And the volume in that filter may actually affect the pressure response of the HP oil system. It could make the throttle less responsive.

But you need to do what you want. (y)

#4 ·
That would take some serious modifications, as the HPOP inlet is directly from the HPOP reservoir, not via hoses. But doing a normal bypass filter would improve oil cleanliness somewhat going to the reservoir. There is an unfiltered passage to the reservoir from the LPOP though thru the quick-fill check valve though.

#7 ·
Did you watch the video? The hydraulic system of the HEUI is more delicate than the friction surfaces of the engine, which I'm sure you know. Besides, this guy is putting a Cat engine in a pickup, along with an Allison 3000 series transmission. They passed "necessary" many miles ago.

#9 ·
Maybe I’m wrong :( but sort of thought having an oil analysis done by Blackstone would also be preventative care for the injectors by monitoring the oils condition vs. mileage, additives still left in the oil, and (hopefully) no contaminates that would shorten injector life. If oil analysis comes back good, wouldn’t extra filtration be just extra cost......

#11 ·
OP,
Did you recently retire? I found myself spending too much of my abundant free time worrying about stuff like this.

I started tying flies.

A buddy of mine with the same abundance of free time started making hand made clocks while yet another now builds miniature (fully operational) steam engines and then builds exquisitely detailed tugboats to give the miniature scale model steam engines purpose. Another builds blackpowder rifles from scratch.

So its not that you are certifiably crazy for such a bazaar idea, its just that you are misunderstood because you have chosen an odd obsession to pursue.

Reactions: Greg687
#13 ·
#12 ·
ArcticDriver,
Deep down in my soul, there is a deep and wide vat of pity I have for those who are oblivious to the obvious. The guy is putting a Caterpillar engine and an Allison 3060 into a Ford pickup. He's pushing things to the extreme, rather than just getting it running and saying "Meh, good enough." This HEUI filter falls right in line with that "extreme" theme. If you'd have bothered to watch THE FIRST SEVEN SECONDS of what I linked to (starting at 9:55) you'd hear the guy say "Because... why not?"

And there's plenty of free information out there on International Standard ISO 4406:2017, the long-term effects of hydraulic oil cleanliness, and what types of filters are most effective at reaching those target ISO codes. I'll give you a hint, the standard lube oil filter with a beta ratio of 75 at 20 microns will not produce those desired ISO codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.