The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been off this forum for quite s few yrs but my original signature had everything. I had stacked tuner, a water meth kit, bigger injectors bigger turbo etc. I ate injectors like crazy but everything else on the truck ran smoothly. Life kicked my ass in 2012 so the truck sat at my brothers for almost 2 yrs before I touched it again. When I brought it to where I live now it had alot of rust n corrosion under the cab, box n frame so the owner of the shop I worked at suggested I use one of the bays n restore it. So a full body off it was. Trucks still not fully together but over the next few months I'll be documenting everything. Theres a few really cool touches coming that are complicated as hell so I'm keeping my mouth shut til its perfect. I am definitely doing a late model interior/dash swap and unless I magically learn how to modify and wire the clusters, I'll be using the services of E4 motors on that part of it. Got alot of catching up to do in this forum to get back up to speed on the latest n greatest!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dont just do studs without pulling the heads and getting them tested. That kind of corner cutting is why this engine has some of it's bad rep.
The first response was pretty accurate and the right way to go. Anything less is just irresponsible and asking for trouble. Trust me I've cut plenty of corners n it always bites us in the ass lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I was still wrenching in a shop a full cab off shut off to start up was 24-26 hrs. Heads went out for pressure test and resurface. Egr coolers we put frost plugs in the ends of the cooler to stop flow through the cooler but still pass a visual test. They fail because theres too many idiots who can't follow maintenance instructions and use the proper coolant. I've tried cab on head re/re as well as cab off and cab off saves you in every way.

Ive done mine both ways too. Cab off by far is the way to go. And Ive never gone back with exhaust manifold gaskets on a 6 oh.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This has to be the oldest, most consistently revived thread in the history of forums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
It might be the most revived but for a good reason. Too many inexperienced mechanics and owners of this truck keep making the mistakes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I dont believe that to be the case. My experience is that fixing the 6 oh for no matter what the reason is always more than a one part fix. To do these right measns doing them right every time one goes in. There are so many variables to ANY problem with this design.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I dunno theres alot of high mile 6.0s out there with the heads done n a few updates yet keep on runnin. I'm not gonna deny theres some design flaws but this engines biggest problem is still the people that own it. Had yet another one in the other day with a no start hot. Diaged it n found an air leak at the hpop. Tearing it down I found every nut n bolt loose, missing nuts n bolts wrong coolant with cooler present and so on. Too many wrenching on them with no clue what they're doing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts