The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I own a '03 E450 with a 7.3L diesel. The instrument panel has no tachometer. I've found an instrument cluster from an '04 with a 6.0 diesel that has the tach. Will I experience any probs installing in my '03?
Thanks for your help

John D.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey John,

You're gonna find that the only way to get a tach in a 7.3 van is by swapping in an F-Series cluster or buying a Scangauge that'll display it. Just another one of the things us vanners have to live with...

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
John,
Others have done it before, you will just need to find the tach Wires in the AIC/ACPM Wiring Harness that is under the steering column area. It has a large connect plug on the end of it.

Some gents here may know the wire colors to tell you how to hook it up, or just download a pdf manual on the AIC/ACPM and all the wires are labeled.

OR you can buy a AIC/ACPM and use the RPM Function on the display. It's wired right toi the Vans computer so it's 100% accurate.

The 1995. - 2003 7.3L have the Plugs for them pre-wired, I'm not sure about the older vans,

·
Registered
400 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa.... F series instrument panels fit in the E series? Could I pull that swap on my generation Econoline?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice so far. All additional info will be appreciated. Will be attempting installation in June and let you know how it goes.

John D.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa.... F series instrument panels fit in the E series? Could I pull that swap on my generation Econoline?
Another forum member here did it on his IDI E350, so I'm pretty sure you could too! Maybe someone else can steer you in the right direction.

Wish I had the dedication for a project like this...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I went online to Just Answer and posed my question to a Ford technician before I went and blew $250.00 on the used '04 instrument cluster. His answer was:-
"Yes you would have problems. In '03 the tach was not available (hence) no wiring for it. They did not wire in a tach until '04. I would recommend getting an 03 instrument cluster, the wiring is different between '03 and '04."
It's going to be interesting to see how all this resolves itself once I get the time to follow up on some of the info I've been given here. I've recently spent a bunch of bucks buying 3 different Ford workshop manuals for the '03 but haven't had a chance to look at them yet.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You need a 00-01 f cluster. I found mine for $75. Look around on the forums for somebody parting a truck out.

There is a couple of labeled terminated wires near the brake booster. One says CTO which stands for clean tach output, I believe. You will need to extend this for your tach signal. You will need to move some of the wires around on the factory plugs.

Then you can (carefully) pop out the odometers and swap them so your mileage stays the same.

I had to cut off one of the mounting ears on the f cluster, so there will only be 3 screws holding it in, but it's not going anywhere.

The only thing that doesn't work right on mine is the abs light is constantly lit. It stopped bothering me, so I stopped trying to figure out how to correct it.

Here is the van pinouts:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Here is the 00-01 f series pinout:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Couple other pics

Oh yeah, before you remove you e cluster, pop out the gear position indicator and leave the linkage connected. Then you can slide it into the f cluster.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
I did this on a 92. I didn't have any diagrams so i just metered out all of the lights off one and switched the wires to make the other one work. Then the wire for the tach, i had to run a new wire to the E4OD computer. The pin for the tach out is not hooked up in the van, so had to install a pin and run a wire.

It's a little different obviously on the powerstrokes but should be doable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I assume the 00-01 cluster needs to come out of a powestroke truck? Or will one out of a gasser work as well?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I assume the 00-01 cluster needs to come out of a powestroke truck? Or will one out of a gasser work as well?
Gassers work but the tach doesn't read right. I have an f diesel cluster if you need one. PM me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts