The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
97 F350 XLT dually 2WD = stock

I have searched theis fourm for my particular problem.

The headlights and running lights have never failed.

However - my instrument lights would sometimes simply not come on - and then - without moving (no bumps or even driving) they would suddenly begin working properly.

(With headlights and running lights working - I would turn the dimmer dial with no response - then after sitting a minute - without touching anything - the lights would "mysteriously" - suddenly come on - and the dimmer dial would work perfectly.)

I changed out the headlight / running light / dimmer switch assembly - but still no instrument panel lights.

The # 10 fuse is good - but there seems to be NO power to either side of the fuse receiver. (the socket is "dead" on both sides - even when the headlight switch is pulled out - and key on or off.)

(#4 fuse is also good)

Any suggestions on where I should begin?

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
There should be power on either side of fuse 4 at all times.
There should be power at Main Light Switch connector terminal B2 (Teal wire with White stripe) at all times.
When the instrument panel lights are actually working there has to be voltage on either side of fuse 10. If the lights are not working and no power to fuse 10, I would look at the White wire with Light Blue stripe that runs from the Main Light Switch connector to fuse 10.

Cheers!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it must be a short / broken wire between the switch and the fuse panel because after I posted here (after changing out the headlight / running light / dimmer switch assembly) I went back out to the truck and the instrument panel lights worked. I felt around on the back side of the fuse panel - but couldn't feel any "limp" or broken wires / connections.
The switch harness connector looked to be in good shape (not burnt or corroded) so I re-used it. I suppose there could be a bad connection at the harness / switch connection - and I just can't see it.
If the instrument panel lights go out again - I'll replace the harness connector and go from there.

Thanks Patrick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts