The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could somebody inform me on how tight the intercooler boot clamp are supposed to be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif thanks

· Registered
406 Posts
Mine are as tight as they will go just shy of them snapping off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Tough call. I imagine that there is a torque spec somewhere. Do you have a "Repair manual" with spec.s? Might be able to find one online.

Quote from Grumpy Jenkins, "Tighten it till it strips, then back it off a 1/4 turn"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

· Registered
406 Posts
I thought it was tighten it until it snaps off and then back it off a 1/4 turn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif.

Honestly I have not had a problem with mine and they are cranked down pretty good.

· Registered
6,005 Posts
I agree wrench good'in tight!!!

· Registered
3,401 Posts
Have a spare clamp so you can know how tight failure point is, then tighten the next one almost that tight. Test to destruction.

· Registered
981 Posts
As i always say, PFT!!!! Pretty Fricken Tight

· Registered
2,570 Posts
If you have a heart condition, do your self a favor, use the tighten until it breaks then back off 1/4 turn. these things when they pop off make quite a sound.

· Registered
981 Posts
I second what MrPlow said, it is a sound you wont like, and you will know what it is right away.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
I remember where I was everytime (4 times) its happened.

Each time I was like OH NO! another turbo! Then about 20 seconds later come to my senses, Pull over, pull out the ratchett/socket and extensions from the mapholder in the door and put them back on.

Usually still shaking when the job is done.

· Registered
6,286 Posts
These look pretty beefy. Note the clamps keeping the CAC tubes from separating.

· Registered
3,401 Posts
Nice motor.

· Registered
6,286 Posts
Yeah. That's Sapps motor with the infamous Tymar rods.

· Registered
6,286 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I agree wrench good'in tight!!!

[/ QUOTE ]Depends on the clamp. The t-bolt style without constant torque are supposed to be tightened to 80 in-lbs! The constant torque style with the spring in the clamp will not expand or contract as designed if over tightened. They are supposed to be tightened to 75 in-lbs! So good and tight is too tight if the spring is compressed all the way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.