The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camera accessory Automotive wheel system Auto part Plastic Personal protective equipment

I have a 1993 F-350 7.3 IDI. The interior dome light will not turn off. I replaced the door switch like shown in the picture, but this changes nothing. Anyone else have experience or suggestions with this?
So I wouldn’t have to disconnect my battery, I pulled the fuse for the light which unfortunately is tied into my speedometer and odometer. So none of these components work right now while I drive the truck. Extremely frustrating that the switch replacement didn’t work.

· Registered
2,015 Posts
Check the headlight switch. When turned all the way to the left, it will turn the dome light on.

· Registered
12 Posts
View attachment 187368

I have a 1993 F-350 7.3 IDI. The interior dome light will not turn off. I replaced the door 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 switch like shown in the picture, but this changes nothing. Anyone else have experience or suggestions with this?
So I wouldn’t have to disconnect my battery, I pulled the fuse for the light which unfortunately is tied into my speedometer and odometer. So none of these components work right now while I drive the truck, Extremely frustrating that the switch replacement didn’t work.
it's maybe a fuse problem

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is the other door switch? I’ve checked all doors and have only seen the driver side one.

I’ve already made sure the headlight switch is correct.

I’ve planned to remove the bulb, just haven’t yet. I know it’s not a fuse problem, in that moment that was the easiest way to kill the light. Didn’t readily see how to remove the light cover. Fuse box was too easy.

I’ve planned to remove the bulb, just haven’t yet. I know it’s not a fuse problem, in that moment that was the easiest way to kill the light. Didn’t readily see how to remove the light cover. Fuse box was too easy.

· Registered
2,551 Posts
The door switches are normally at the front of the door opening, near the lower hinge. Only '92-93 trucks have the rubber-covered pin at the rear of the driver's door only.

(click this text)

(click this text)

The dome light stays on because the passenger hinges are worn, and the door is bouncing around. When it bounces forward, it over-adjusts the self-adjusting pin switch, causing the switch to indicate the door is always OPEN, thus the light stays on. This & the NEXT few pages show how to reset the switch:

(click this text)

But until the hinges are fixed, it'll just keep happening, unless you unplug the passenger switch by removing the kick panel & pulling the wires off the switch.

(click this text)

Some people rebuild the hinges in-place using aftermarket pin kits, but I prefer to replace them even though it's a LOT more co$t & work (requiring removing the fenders).

(click this text)

· Registered
2,551 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
There may not be a GEM. But normal operation, did the interior light say on for a few seconds when existing the truck? If so then something was operating the light and turning it off. A time delay? Is there a circuit relay stuck on?

· Registered
2,551 Posts

· Super Moderator
9,106 Posts
My guess if after eliminating the door switches would be the light switch itself.

Real Danny, the older trucks are fairly simple with very little electronics on the lighting system. That didn't happen until the 99+ years of trucks.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts