The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm happy to hear that your truck will be in the hands of the dealer today, blwnsmoke. How many miles are on it currently?

Crystal
19,000 miles as of yesterday. They have a door sensor on order. They tested all 4 and found the 1 door to not be responded correctly which confirms what I told them.

Best part about it is that with the enhanced rental, I have a mustang convertible as a loaner lol. Couldn't help myself to blast the heat and heated seat and drop the top on a 50 degree day.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Driving a Mustang convertible on Feb 4th in NH. Bet you were getting a lot of looks.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Driving a Mustang convertible on Feb 4th in NH. Bet you were getting a lot of looks.
LOL, I couldn't help myself.. Hadn't driven a mustang since 1998 and never a convertible one.

My wife LOVED the car.. I let her take it to a meeting that night at her work. I think I can easily convince her to let me buy one once the truck is paid off lol.

On a side note, my right rear door sensor started acting up today.. GRRRR.. Packed my 2 kids in to bring one to school and it kept telling me the door was open. Open/closed it 3 times and still said it was open. Drove for about 10 minutes and the warning went off and the doors locked automatically like they are supposed to.

Will see if it happens again and back to the dealer I go. Maybe they still have that mustang :grin2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 F-250 and I am having a similar issue. Mine will blow ice cold then just cool it goes back and forth no matter if I’m driving or stopped. I have had the truck at 4 ford dealers and they tell me there is nothing wrong with it. They put the digital temp gauge on it and it shows its cold. The problem is with that that it doesn’t stay cool long enough for the temp gauge to change. The truck has 35,000 miles on it and the dealers have added a pound of Freon pressure checked the system and put dye in the system. I am taking it to a local mechanic in the morning and paying $89 to get the truck diagnosed to I have proof of the problem to take back to the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 F250 crew cab King Ranch package . It has the dual zone climate control. The last couple of months I have had intermittent cooling problems , blower works but no cool air. It may do this once a week or more and then work fine for the next three weeks. Usually when it is not working it will not work for 10 - 45 minutes on average then start cooling. If it is working it wont quit working until I have shut the truck off completely and then start back up. I can cannot get it to do this consistently enough to have the dealership diagnose the problem. They had it for a couple of days and everything checks out while they had it. They checked for codes ,Freon charge, blend boxes and everything checks good. I have the Premium Care Warranty but it doesn't do me any good if they can't diagnose the problem. So unless it goes out completely they say they can't do anything for me. When it acts up I've tried taking it to them and it will start working before I can get there. Any Idea's?
Don’t listen to anything else, it’s your relay. Change it out and make sure Freon is in the green and you’ll be fine

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
There ya go. Just throw a relay at it and jam some more refrigerant in the system. Good to go!

In my experience with this, the more common causes of intermittent A/C cooling on 2011-2016 Super duty trucks are bad temperature blend door actuators, compressor clutch air gap or coil wiring, and STUCK thermostatic expansion valves. The official WSM list for no cooling in general is:

• Fuse(s)
  • Wiring, terminals or connectors
  • A/C system discharged/low charge
  • PCM
  • HVAC module
  • A/C clutch relay
  • A/C compressor clutch air gap
  • A/C pressure transducer
  • Evaporator temperature sensor
  • A/C compressor clutch field coil
  • Temperature blend door is binding or stuck
  • Temperature blend door actuator(s)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 F-250 and I am having a similar issue. Mine will blow ice cold then just cool it goes back and forth no matter if I’m driving or stopped. I have had the truck at 4 ford dealers and they tell me there is nothing wrong with it. They put the digital temp gauge on it and it shows its cold. The problem is with that that it doesn’t stay cool long enough for the temp gauge to change. The truck has 35,000 miles on it and the dealers have added a pound of Freon pressure checked the system and put dye in the system. I am taking it to a local mechanic in the morning and paying $89 to get the truck diagnosed to I have proof of the problem to take back to the dealer.
Have you found a solution for the ac blowing warm air intermittently? I am having the same issue and have also taken it into the dealership multiple times. The air blows cold for about a minute then warm for about 5 seconds over and over again. I keep getting told that they can not duplicate the problem. I have the esp extended warranty but it expires in Oct so I am trying to get it fixed before then. I did not have the issue until I had the evaporator replaced under warranty around a year ago. It has been doing the cold/warm ever since then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 F350 dually. I have less than 70k on the odometer and am getting the same problem. About 6 weeks back, the ac blew hot. I had just started the truck, and ac stays in the on position. It blew hot for about 4 min until I said screw this, turned the truck off, went inside to calm down , then decided to take it to a mechanic. Started her up and ice cold AC. Well it just happened again. This time I waited a few minutes, shut her down, waited a few more minutes, started her up, and still hot. So drove a few miles in the blazing heat, to an autoparts store to get refrigerant just in case. Started her up and ice cold ac. I am on a trek from FL to AZ and don't need anymore hot air.....

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I have a 2012 F350 dually. I have less than 70k on the odometer and am getting the same problem. About 6 weeks back, the ac blew hot. I had just started the truck, and ac stays in the on position. It blew hot for about 4 min until I said screw this, turned the truck off, went inside to calm down , then decided to take it to a mechanic. Started her up and ice cold AC. Well it just happened again. This time I waited a few minutes, shut her down, waited a few more minutes, started her up, and still hot. So drove a few miles in the blazing heat, to an autoparts store to get refrigerant just in case. Started her up and ice cold ac. I am on a trek from FL to AZ and don't need anymore hot air.....

I strongly recommend not adding any refrigerant - since the system is ice cold at times the charge is NOT your problem. Most likely your truck has a sticking thermostatic expansion valve or an intermittent electrical concern - electrical can be a fairly broad meaning as there are multiple modules, sensors and actuators involved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, after reading this thread, I'm fairly certain my 2015 F550 has the same problem. (Evaporator temperature sensor)
Which is not sounding good if it's an $1800 labor bill to change a $30-$50 part.
What other options are there, short of not shopping at Ford next truck?

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Okay, after reading this thread, I'm fairly certain my 2015 F550 has the same problem. (Evaporator temperature sensor)
Which is not sounding good if it's an $1800 labor bill to change a $30-$50 part.
You are making an assumption. Have your truck diagnosed - you will feel worse if you pay to have this done and it does not correct the condition.

What other options are there, short of not shopping at Ford next truck?
None other than dealing with intermittent A/C operation. ...and not shopping Ford for your next truck is going to help fix it how?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are making an assumption. Have your truck diagnosed - you will feel worse if you pay to have this done and it does not correct the condition.

Hi Doc and thanks for the reply.

re: You are making an assumption. Yeah maybe so, but after more research it is more of an educated guess. But lets assume my truck only needs a fuse. What about the ones that are actually dealing with this issue? How is this Okay?

And actually I am fairly certain this is also the issue with my 550. And to be honest, I was not thinking I would spending 1800 to replace a sensor, even if a diagnosis does show that is what the problem is with my system. That's just nuts!!!

Please don't get me wrong, and correct me where I am mistaken in my thinking. I realize that time is valuable and everyone has to make a living. But highway robbery is what we're talking about here. I'd challenge you to find anyone on this thread that would disagree.

I'm not aiming at you (or the message in general) but more at the fact that someone would approve and sign off on such a situation as we are discussing here. How can Ford (or any of the others) justify for a common working man be forced to spend $1800 to replace a $40 part?

That's my point about shopping elsewhere. Please realize that part of my comments was to make a point. Not that there are any better choices in the current times.I don't think many things are build to last these days - by anyone. I'm 60 years old and remember when a truck was not as easy to crumble as a beer can. Maybe I'm just pissed because everything in the world has become disposable these days and it does not have to be this way.

But if I'm going to buy a 550 size truck every year to move my bees, then I need something I can rely upon day and night in all sorts of conditions. When I load a semi with several hundred hives and follow that rig 8 hours to unload on another farmer's crop to make sure his pollination needs are met, I need to know my truck will preform without issues.

We're talking about a 2015 F-550 with 89,000 miles here ... not a 1995 with 350,000 miles. This truck is barely broke in and I've already had to replace the DEF system at 50k miles, (that's another joke for another thread) and the cheap plastic "intercooler pipe" which failed mid-trip at 60k miles. This happened on a Sunday so it forced me to MacGyver the piece into place with a ratchet strap and limp the rest of the way home.

I am capable of doing this replacement myself, if need be, but the question I am asking is why is this even an issue? Evidently this is a common problem with these trucks (again see link below) and it's simply not right. And if this was the ONLY thing that was common in terms of crazy backwards designs, it might be different. But we all know that every part that gets approval goes through enough testing to know the expected life span of the given part. Then shave a little off here and there to make the bulk of the cheap parts last JUST long enough to get past the warranty stage.

Are the engineers paid extra to make sure techs have plenty of work or are they just clueless when it comes to replacing the parts they design and putting them in places no one can get to without a $1800 bill for the $40 part?

There are obviously a good deal of paying customers with this same problem. (see link below) That should be a red flag. Or maybe it is an expected red flag? It's like the sensors on these trucks are designed to NOT last past the standard warranties. As if they don't make enough on the sale, now we are milked for the duration.

Sorry ... I just had to vent. Maybe I'm frustrated because for the most part, I really do appreciate my 550s and have come to expect a certain level of performance from them ... I NEED good trucks because I am hauling time sensitive livestock and a lot of others depend on us keeping our schedules. It's different when I'm hauling empty equipment, but when I have a load of a few million bees that farmers are needing for crops we all enjoy, it's a whole new level of dependability that is required.

Again, nothing personal, but think about it seriously .... if we (the consumer - and I'll assume that you are also a consumer) don't voice our opinions, then we will just need to buy stock in Vaseline and learn lick our wounds.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Along with the list of possible causes a posted previously here are two more. I would just hate to hear that you went through the trouble of replacing the evaporator core temp sensor or paying to do so if it turns out to be something else. I think I personally have replaced but ONE of these sensors. That is why I push for a little diagnosis first. As for an $1800 repair I would live to see the detailed estimate. In reality it should be about 7-8 hours labor with diagnostics, refrigerant, coolant and of course the sensor... labor will be higher if the truck has a center console and add on stuff and wiring.

TSB 12-08-22
- Effective Aug 28 2012
2012 F-SUPER DUTY EXCESSIVE TEMPERATURE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DRIVER TO PASSENGER INSTRUMENT PANEL VENTS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/2/2012

SSM 47098 - 2013-2016 F-Super Duty - 6.7L - Intermittent Lack Of Air Conditioning (A/C) Performance Due To Air Inlet Mode Door Not Completing Initial Key On Self Test Some 2013-2016 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L engine may exhibit intermittent lack of A/C performance. If root cause for lack of performance is diagnosed to be caused by the air inlet mode door remaining in mid travel position,it may be due to the heating ventilation air conditioning (HVAC) module not completing the initial key on self test of the actuator. To correct this condition,reprogram the HVAC module to the latest calibration using IDS or FJDS release 108.04 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to obtain the latest updates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, that makes sense. I'll get it checked first, but the symptoms do match what I'm seeing for the sensor.

Re: EXCESSIVE TEMPERATURE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DRIVER TO PASSENGER
Not different temps from side to side.

re: SSM 47098 - 2013-2016 F-Super Duty - 6.7L - Intermittent Lack Of Air Conditioning (A/C)
This may be a cause, so I'll share this with the shop when I take it in.

The same intermitting cooling symptoms occured on my partner's 2012 550.
He had it checked at a Ford deal and was told it was the sensor and was quoted somewhere in that $1,800 range. He sold the truck at a discounted rate, so I'm not sure the outcome.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts