The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 X, 6.0 with 216K. I have an intermittent sound that that is progressively worse when I make a left turn or a wide gradual left turn. The sound is more like gears are trying to engage. I am having a really tough time pinpointing the sound, one moment it sounds like it is in front drivers side of the vehicle, the next it is middle passenger side. Speed is not a factor, although the sound is easier to hear around 30 mph. Putting the vehicle into 2 or 4 wheel drive does not make a difference. I have eliminated the transfer case as the culprit. I changed it out last weekend. I have checked the u-joints and drive lines for any looseness. Any ideas on what the issue may be?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

The clicking noise I hear sounds like the noise that a transmission makes when you are moving and put it into park. Are there any relays on the drivers side that would tie into the transmission?

·
Registered
437 Posts
it the automatic hub on the front end.......the will grind and try to engage - if you can still turn the hub manually try doing that and making the turn, betcha a coke it goes away LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem. I have an 2008 F350 and it does the same thing only when turning left going forward. It sounds like a ratchet type clicking. Did you ever find what the problem was. I didn't have the noise until after I changed my transfer case. And I checked both the locking mechanism on the front axle both were fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, unfortunately I have not found out what the cause of the sound was. The sound has gone away. It wasn't the hubs on my truck. I removed the hubs and the truck still made the clicking sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts