The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
To my understanding pouring cold water on the HPOP is only to see if the IPR is faulty not the actual pump these pumps are pretty robust and damn, near bullet proof I was just shy of a million miles on original HPOP when I switched out the motor. I would still try and pour water on it when it doesn't start and see if it does yes, being only 2 years old it should be good but, you never know. Hopefully, others will chime in with suggestions. Keep us posted!

Reactions: Yurre

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Good point, easy check.

·
Administrator
24,979 Posts
I managed to connect forscan once while it would not start and the readings looked good assuming the scan tool is accurate.
The PCM only knows (and displays on a scan tool) the command that it's sending to the IPR. The only feedback it can get as to what the IPR might be doing is via the ICP sensor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think I'll pull the IPR this weekend and check the orings and pigtail.
What is the chance of a sensor pigtail causing this intermittent fail?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
The IPR pigtail gets jacked up frequently due to the fact that it is part of the fuel bowl wiring harness. Fuel leaks can turn the wiring insulation to goo, causing intermittent shorts. Cheers!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
PF, I replaced the entire fuel bowl assembly so I think that pigtail would be new right?. I think I will still check out the orings on the IPR. Also the CPS/ICP pigtails.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Based on that, it should be good, but I'd inspect it anyway just to be sure. Cheers!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Patrick, what is the chance that cleaning the battery terminals really well solved my crank no start?
That is the only thing that I have done since it last failed to start and its been 4 weeks now with no problem. Voltage drop?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, well, well...She failed to start again this morning. This time I poured some cold water on the IPR and it started right up. I guess I'm pulling the IPR and checking it out.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well, well, well...She failed to start again this morning. This time I poured some cold water on the IPR and it started right up. I guess I'm pulling the IPR and checking it out.
Was that the 1st start of the morning or was that after you have driven it and got it warmed up?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That was after driving around all morning 3-4 hours.

·
Registered
707 Posts
That was after driving around all morning 3-4 hours.
Yeah, it sounds like that is your culprit. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well I pulled the IPR off and inspected it and the o rings looked fine but I replaced them. Interesting that the one small hard one is a split type. At first I thought it was broken.
I guess if it fails to start again I'll have to buy another MC IPR. Note: I replaced the whole fuel system so the pigtail to the IPR is new as well. Other note: it seemed to be very hot in the hpop area. I guess thats normal.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well I pulled the IPR off and inspected it and the o rings looked fine but I replaced them. Interesting that the one small hard one is a split type. At first I thought it was broken.
I guess if it fails to start again I'll have to buy another MC IPR. Note: I replaced the whole fuel system so the pigtail to the IPR is new as well. Other note: it seemed to be very hot in the hpop area. I guess thats normal.
Don't know that it makes much difference but, when I was driving commercially with my truck I removed the toilet seat cover from mine to allow more air circulation around that area because, I thought the same all that heat building up under that cover and trapping it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I took mine off years ago. still have it.

Reactions: themule67

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeah, that would be pretty normal not that I have touched the HPOP after shutting the engine off. Lol if it is any consolation when I pulled the original motor at 998,600 it still had the original HPOP. When I put my spare motor in I did add a turbo blanket and it does seem to make a little difference on the heat in the engine bay.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Cool, I'll give it a go until it fails to start again and I guess I'll pick up another IPR.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thought I would update this thread with: apparently the $5 IPR rebuild did the trick. Its been almost 3 months and she hasn't failed to start again. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Glad you got it figured out it's nice when it is a cheap fix. Thanks, for the update.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts