The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 F250 - Job 1 with intermittent cruise control function. Occasionally when I turn on cruise and hit set, it does not come on no matter how many times I push on and set (at or above 30 - 35 mph). Much of the time I can shut my truck down and restart and cruise will work, but not always. Once it is working - I can turn off cruise and restart it and it always works. If I turn my truck off there is a chance the cruise will not start. Anyone have a similar problem?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see it frequently. I use cruise every day to and from work and see it at least once every 2 weeks.
Took my truck in yesterday - turned out to be the brake pressure switch. Cruise thought that the brakes were applied so it would not engage. Took a few hours total to troubleshoot and fix. Seems to work as it should now.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Took my truck in yesterday - turned out to be the brake pressure switch. Cruise thought that the brakes were applied so it would not engage. Took a few hours total to troubleshoot and fix. Seems to work as it should now.
I had the same problem. Replaced the pressure switch and it worked for a few hours, then it started again. It turned out that the wire harness connecting the pressure switch was "stressed" to the point that one of the wires got torn inside the insulation and stopped making contact. The pressure switch circuit (when open) reports "pressure on", hence, the cruise control will not come on.

I fixed the harness and all's well since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 2008 f350 with the exact same problem w/my cruise control. his has helped me a lot. i would also be interested in learning more about the wire harness as well as the brake pressure switch.

thanks much folks.
mark turik

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the same problem. It seemed to be worse lately on colder mornings when its cold but not when it was freezing constantly a few weeks ago. Assuming from the above fixes, its just a fluke with the weather. My guess is the switch is connected to the brake pedal and the harness is off of that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. It seemed to be worse lately on colder mornings when its cold but not when it was freezing constantly a few weeks ago. Assuming from the above fixes, its just a fluke with the weather. My guess is the switch is connected to the brake pedal and the harness is off of that?
thurs. 060211

hi and thanks for adding to my post/problem. i am starting to think (from reading), that the problem is in what is called the "brake pressure switch". i am also trying to find out where it is located and what it looks like on my truck. i have a 2008 f350, 6.4l diesel. i have read that it may be located near or on the master cylinder.

does any one know where i can find some pictures, schematics, drawings, ect of this thing?

thank you spedyr6 and EVERYone else who has tried to help me!
most gratefully,
mark turik

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I can see why a problem like this would be disconcerting and I recommend speaking with the dealer to set up an appointment to diagnose the concern. Let me know via private message if you would like help with that or would like any other assistance.

Cory

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
thurs. 060211

hi and thanks for adding to my post/problem. i am starting to think (from reading), that the problem is in what is called the "brake pressure switch". i am also trying to find out where it is located and what it looks like on my truck. i have a 2008 f350, 6.4l diesel. i have read that it may be located near or on the master cylinder.

does any one know where i can find some pictures, schematics, drawings, ect of this thing?

most gratefully,
mark turik
I don’t have access to schematics and drawings but drop me a line if you choose to take the truck to a dealer for repairs.

Cory

·
Registered
3 Posts
fri 060311
hello cory,
i could not find a private email for you in your reply. unfortunately, i dont think i can afford to take my truck to the ford dealership. the cruise control is something that does not keep me from driving the truck safely. i really do miss it however and hope someone will be able to help me in this forum.

thanks cory,
sincerely,
mark turik

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Mark: if you left click on his name in blue writing (FordCustomerService) a window will come down and then click on “send a private message to FordCustomerService”.

As far as the brake pressure switches, there are two screwed in the bottom of the master cylinder and also a switch on the brake pedal, sorry not sure how they are tied to the cruise control. I do know that the cruise control circuits go through self tests and are monitored by the ECM and if there is an error, it will disable the cruise control and produce a diagnostic code that will be stored in the ECM, but won’t produce the MIL or Wrench light. Chances are you might have a code stored and maybe a reader other then a Dealer’s will tell you. Also there are other codes that will disable the cruise control, for example if the EGR valve sticks and the truck goes into “Limp Home Mode”.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
fri 060311
hello cory,
i could not find a private email for you in your reply. unfortunately, i dont think i can afford to take my truck to the ford dealership. the cruise control is something that does not keep me from driving the truck safely. i really do miss it however and hope someone will be able to help me in this forum.

thanks cory,
sincerely,
mark turik
MPD56 is correct that I would need a private message containing your truck’s info that I stated earlier in the thread. With those details, I can look into this further for you. Thank you.

Cory

·
Registered
556 Posts
/me chimes in with another job2 F350 with intermittant cruise controll that was tollerable just shut it off and restart it and it was back .. then about a month after the CabOff it is more not there than it is functional... will check the brake switch and master pressure switch harnesses/pins on plugs

·
Registered
556 Posts
thurs. 060211

most gratefully,
mark turik
The pressure switch is on the bottom front of the master cylinder with a 2 wire plug going to it it is a tight fit to get in there to play with the harness but the switch should be easy enough to get out with a 7/8" crowfoot and an extension , if you dont got the crowfoot use whatever wrench to loosen it like an 1/8th turn then unscrew it with your hand having the new one to screw rite in though it wont leak much fluid and you shouldnt have to bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. Cruise control Intermittently will not work. Lately it will not work at all. As most of my retirement money goes to truck payments and repairs, I cant just take it to the dealer. I have searched a lot of posts, and I assume all are valid replies. From connectors not making good connection in the brake related circuits, to the clockspring, to the brake pressure switch. One dealer did read the codes for me, while buying tires, and that pointed to the brake pressure switch. I am going to replace it this week hopefully. Not sure this is appropriate, but I want to add that my 08 F250 Super Duty diesel, is plagued with issues. First, the electronic throttle failed on me after midnight moving a load of frozen beef from West Virginia to North Carolina. Had it towed, and the dealer found that a harness had rubbed against the driveshaft, and exposed and shorted the wires. I could not see how it was possible, but there ya go. Then the remote mirror switch failed, and I just replaced it for the second time. Then the popular radiator failure, just after warranty expires to the tune of $1700. I had one injector fail and replaced under warranty. And the water seperator unit failed and was replaced, and there has been no water discharged from it during monthly checks, in over a year. Little concerned there. The first oil change revealed a loose bolt in the oil pan, which led to a cab off, to remove the oil pan, only to be told it must have been a spare bolt. No sign of where one was missing. Take all of that, and the delicacy of the exhaust cooler and egr system, I am beginning to miss the 2000 7.3 which had 231K miles with no issues. The 08 is a beautiful truck, Ford did a great job with getting so much from a smaller engine, and the way the computer works to manage the tranny and engine while towing up and down mountains, is outstanding. But I have to wonder if it is going to be worth all the expense and dealing with all the issues. As far as having so many electrical related issues, has this become common with Ford? Comparing that to my 2002 Honda with nearly 300K miles, and absolutely no issues really makes me wonder what is going on with Ford truck

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Not that many people have electical issues. Overall the truck and motor have been pretty darn good considering the EPA mess that was mandated.

EGR coolers are actually much better than previous ones.

Radiators are the weak point but most of that ha calmed down overall with the strict maintance of the cooling system.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i bypassed my switch and i still have problems 99 f350 7.3 6spd. i just tied the two wires together between the fuses on the replacement harness i still have the occasional problem but it works better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cruise control

Had the same problem with my 2010 F250. Dealer fixed it under warranty. Was the pressure switch. In the beginning the CC would not work infrequently. Got progressiveky worse. By the time I took it in the CC wouldn't work at all. The service writer said that the problem may effect the brake controller. I didn't notice that and I towed several time wtih it not working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My check engine light came on a week or so ago and the code said it was the exhaust temperature sensor bank 1 sensor 3. Soon after the check engine light came on my cruise stoppped working. Could the exhaust temperature sensor problem have any affect on my cruise?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts