The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck has 355,000 miles on the original injectors. They don't like the cold, but that is not my problem.

I have a no start condition. Drive to the beer store and the truck runs fine. I buy beer hop in the truck and the truck will not start. Twist the key and the engine spins over fast but has no desire to fire. No smoke, no nothing; the engine just spins and the injectors don't fire. I try a couple of short starts and nothing but the engine spinning over real fast. Fuel pressure is normal.

If I wait a few minutes and then try to start the beast fires right up like nothing was/is wrong. This has happened 4 times.

The truck is chipped with a DP-Tuner and I run 90% of the time in stock mode. Today when it did not start (just spun over) I tried different tunes with no luck. I then popped the hood, jiggled the big wire harness going to the engine and still no start. I then pondered calling a tow truck and tried again and she started right up as if nothing was wrong.

After a no-start condition the truck will run perfectly for days/weeks until the next no-start. This has happened 4 times now.

Any ideas what may be at fault?

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Check your ICP Sensor. If the PCM does not see 500 psi, it will not send the signal for the injectors to fire. You will need to check ICP and IPR Duty Cycle while it is doing the no start for information.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your ICP Sensor. If the PCM does not see 500 psi, it will not send the signal for the injectors to fire. You will need to check ICP and IPR Duty Cycle while it is doing the no start for information.

Next time I have a no-start I'll check the ICP and IPR values.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once again I had the dreaded no-start. I dropped a package off at UPS and when I tried starting the truck it just spins over real fast. I waited and nothing changed. I don't know if my scan gauge is reading correctly but pressure was 150ish and duty cycle was high 30's. So I unplugged the ICP and tried again. Scan gauge showed 1500 pressure and still a no start. Batteries were getting low at this point so I plugged the ICP back in and called for a tow.

After about 45 minutes and no tow truck had shown up I again tried to start the beast. Cranked slow but fired and all was well. I cancelled the tow and drove home. Batteries are now charging and will get two new ones this week as I noticed my batteries are 6 years old. How time flies.

I also ordered a ICP from Diesel O-Rings and it should be here Wednesday.

While I was under the hood unplugging the ICP I took a peek at the IPR and it looks OK. Clean, no loose tin nut. Could it be sticking internally and once cooled down begin working again?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You're symptoms could easily be your IPR, or in reality the external electric solenoid that controls the actual valve. It is common for them to hot fail and your pressure goes to near zero when they get some age on them. When they cool off then they work, until they heat up again, its a thermal cycle. Solenoids individually are not available, one has to buy an entire IPR assembly. The valves themselves rarely fail but their solenoids do, 150 bucks will solve your problem

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
You may be needing to replace the injector O-rings. With the oil being warm, it easily could be causing your issues, especially with the mileage on them. That is why it starts after you let it sit. Once everything cools down, the pressure builds a little bit easier.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just returned from Costco with two new batteries and a flat tire on the way home. I'm hoping these $99 Interstate batteries work as well as the Oct 2013 Costco batteries. 6 years is pretty good run for diesel batteries. I'll try the IPR valve next. Injector O-rings were replaced this past spring as one had sprung a leak. New injectors next spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts