The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help on where to start troubleshooting an intermittent speedometer on my 2000 F250 diesel:

Symptoms:
-speedometer has 2 states either working correctly or pinned at 39 mph but goes to 0 when stopped (not completely consistent but seems to work more often in cooler temps?)
-cruise control still works at any speed, even when speedometer isn't.
-No CEL or codes

It started happening sparingly maybe 5 years ago and has progressively been happening more often probably 95% not working now, but will still occasionally work. I've ended up just throwing a cheap GPS in the cab and use that for speed info.

I've been driving it less and less so am thinking of selling. I think it will sell better with a working speedometer, so I'd like to get it working if I can get it figured out and fixed relatively cheaply. I'm far from a mechanic but pretty handy just looking for some suggestions on where to start.

·
Super Moderator
25,361 Posts
If you've already changed out the speed sensor in the rear axle housing, you may be looking at a problem with the instrument cluster itself. The fact that the cruise works kind of points that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you've already changed out the speed sensor in the rear axle housing, you may be looking at a problem with the instrument cluster itself. The fact that the cruise works kind of points that way.
Thanks,

I haven't changed the speed sensor as I assumed since the cruise was working the speed sensor was as well; can anyone verify they use the same sensor for sure?

I haven't had any experience with clusters going out, would it be typical for only one gauge to be affected? all the other gauges on the cluster are working correctly.

Lastly, I know this is subjective but what is a working speedometer worth to you if you're looking for an older beater/farm truck? it's an extended cab, ~240k miles, mechanically sound, 4x4 works but the auto locking hubs don't so new tires <2,000 miles ago, the only real problem is the previous owner dropped something on the box so the driver side bed rail is slightly crushed, the tailgate is still operable but only latches on the passenger side. Based on a quick look at the local craigslist I'd probably list at $4,900

Obviously the speedometer wasn't a big enough deal for me to fix so maybe I'm better off just selling as is. I guess if the consensus is that it's probably the instrument cluster, which is what I was thinking, I don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks to repair and 2 or 3 hours of my time to only maybe break even or be slightly ahead on the other side if you know what I mean. especially with the risk that it's not actually the cluster and I'm out the money/time and it's still not working. what are your opinions?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
When a speedometer does that its the cluster. 2000 model year was one of the model years speedometers did that. Sometimes they stick like yours and often they peg all the way over a certain speed.

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
I haven't changed the speed sensor as I assumed since the cruise was working the speed sensor was as well; can anyone verify they use the same sensor for sure?
Yes, they use the same sensor. If the cruise is working fine then the vehicle speed sensor is not your problem.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Just for clarity, for this model year truck, the instrument cluster/speedometer receives a speed signal from the 4WABS module if equipped with 4 wheel ABS or the generic electronic module (GEM) if equipped with rear ABS (RABS). This means that VSS data is module generated and shared with multiple systems and therefore a sensor malfunction will present symptoms or fault codes in one or more module.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts