The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 E350 Van
Most of the time the van starts, but sometimes it cranks over very well, but will not light off. It runs really well when running. Went shopping with my wife had a bunch of cold stuff in the van, took a bit for it to decide to start, not a good trust developer.
I had the FICM checked over and had a tune put in it when I first got the van, so would like to think it shouldn't be a cause. So do the fuel pumps act up intermittently? I admit I was not paying attention to whether the fuel pump was working when it would not start, I did hear it when it did start.

How to trouble shoot this or wait for it to totally quit then trouble shoot for what is broken.
Intermittent gripes are a PITA.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Intermitents are indeed a PITA. You have to test until the event occurs catch it in the act.
You could have loss of sync [either or both],loss of fuel pressure;oil pressure drops below 500 psi in the hp oil system or loss of other electrical signal from the pcm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being a newbie to the Ford diesel world what is "loss of sync [either or both]"/
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The 6.0 is a computer controlled engine. When you first go to start the engine the PCM [computer] reads signals form the cam sensor and the crank sensor. This tells the pcm where the pistons are in relation to their fireing order. Your scan tool would show the first sync. Depending on the scan tool it will either be a 0 or 1 or yes or no. The PCM then communicates with the FICM [a specialized computer] when they are in sync [talking to each other correctly] the second sync will be established and the FICM will fire the corresponding injector at the right time and duration. Your truck will then start and run.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the explanation

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
If the no-starts are when the engine is hot, then I would say your problem lies in the high-pressure oil system (STC fitting, dummy plugs, standpipes).

You need to have a gauge on it (as others have said), or put it on a good code reader (you can have codes without a CEL).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts