The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding my 6.0 and am wondering are the piston and bearing coatings worth the money. I was quoted 1,000 to coat everything. Is it worth it? I know it looks good on paper but does it really help with anything.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
IMHO, if your running stock components and stock power it isn't needed. If your not running the drag strip I probably wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking. I'm definitely not racing it. I do have bigger injectors and a power max.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Coatings work, no question about it. If you look at max effort engines in any sport they are going to be coated internally. But, for a typical street engine they are IMO overkill. I would suggest thermal barrier coating on the piston crowns, and anti-scuff coating on the piston skirts, but if you're using OE pistons, which I believe are Mahle, they should come coated, as Mahle was an early adopter of coating technology. Beyond that I don't see much benefit for the cost.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are Mahl pistons. The skirts come coated from the factory. My machine shop offered it to me. I turned them down. It seemed way overkill for a daily driver

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Instead of the coating I'm installing a reground cam. Stage 2. It's suppose to be easier on the valve train. Lower EGTs and fast spool up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Instead of the coating I'm installing a reground cam. Stage 2. It's suppose to be easier on the valve train. Lower EGTs and fast spool up.
If it is a Colt cam, I believe the Stage 1 cam is the regrind and the Stage 2 is same profile as Stage 1 but is a new core cam. At least that is how it was explained to me.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If it is a Colt cam, I believe the Stage 1 cam is the regrind and the Stage 2 is same profile as Stage 1 but is a new core cam. At least that is how it was explained to me.
It has a bit more of an aggressive profile than the stock regrind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts